Additional SSAC

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2013
    I just finished one more competition to be added to the list of "What's next" for the Society Seasonal Archery Competition. It is based on a old Arabic practice target, but the way I modified it, it now works well for the Christmas Season.

    The diagram of the target should show up in the attachment.

    Please review all the competitions in "Whats next" as well as the Triangle, Rings and Wand shoots in the "Previous" (Which are now over a year old and can again be included) folder, at the SCA Scores Site.

    Jon

    The Imitation Horseman Shoot.

    There is an Arabic version of the Triangle Target which was based on an Oriental target, which also represented a warrior on horseback.  But, unlike the Triangle, it is based upon two circular disks which represented the shield and the head. In the Arabic original which was used as a form of practice, the target was placed at just under the maximum cast of the bow. The archer practiced at this target using five arrows until he could hit the disk representing the shield without missing a single shot. Then he advanced to shooting at the disk representing the head of the warrior until he could hit it with all five arrows without missing. The size of the head disk was one span or about nine inches and the shield was three spans or about twenty-seven inches. (From “Arab Archery” by Robert Elmer and Nabih Amin Faris.)

    The Shoot:
    For purposes of the SSAC the original version is slightly modified by the addition of a third disk representing the horse and the addition of a visor slot/disk on the head. There are three untimed ends of six arrows, shot at three different distances. Both handbows and crossbows may participate in the shooting at the same time. However, handbows and crossbows compete in separate divisions as per the SSAC rules.

    Range:
    The distances for all seasons, except Winter, are: 40, 30 and 20 yards. Distances for Winter are 20, 15 and 10 yards. The Youth distances for all seasons except Winter, are 20, 15 and 10 yards. For Winter the youth distances are 15, 10 and 5 yards.

    Target:
    For all seasons, except Winter, the target size is: Head is 6 inches. Body is 18 inches. Horse is 30 inches. The head has a 2-inch circle, in a contrasting color, in the center which represents a visor slot. The combined target is 54 inches tall.

    The Winter season sizes are smaller. The head is 3 inches. The body is 9 Inches. The horse is 15 inches. The visor slot is 1 inch. The combined target is 27 inches tall.

    The target for any season should contrast with its background.

    The resulting combination of three disks resembles a Cyclops style snowman which is appropriate for the Winter season.

     SCORING:
    The horse is 1 point. The body is 3 points. The head is 5 points. The visor circle is 15 points. Arrows striking the edge of the visor disk count as the higher score. Arrows touching the outer edge of any disk count for the appropriate score. Arrows striking where two disks join, count as the higher score. There is a maximum total score of 270 points, if the visor is hit with every shot.

    Sir Jon FitzRauf
    12/8/13

  • Pat
    Message 2 of 9 , Dec 9, 2013
      For some reason the image come up requiring Quicktime and a decompressor to view the image. Since I am not willing to hunt down applications, would it be possible to have the file added to the files instead of as an attachment?

      Moire Ayres

> [...]
      > target is 54 inches tall.
      >
      > The Winter season sizes are
      > smaller. The head is 3 inches. The body is 9 Inches. The horse is 15 inches.
      > The visor slot is 1 inch. The combined target is 27 inches tall.
      >
      > The target for any season
      > should contrast with its background.
      >
      > The resulting combination of
      > three disks resembles a Cyclops style snowman which is appropriate for the
      > Winter season.
      >

      >  SCORING:
      > The horse is 1 point. The body
      > is 3 points. The head is 5 points. The visor circle is 15 points. Arrows
      > striking the edge of the visor disk count as the higher score. Arrows touching
      > the outer edge of any disk count for the appropriate score. Arrows striking
      > where two disks join, count as the higher score. There is a maximum total score
      > of 270 points, if the visor is hit with every shot.

    • John Edgerton
      Message 3 of 9 , Dec 9, 2013

        I will put it in the group files.

        Jon

        Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

> [...]

        > target is 54 inches tall.
        >
        > The Winter season sizes are
        > smaller. The head is 3 inches. The body is 9 Inches. The horse is 15 inches.
        > The visor slot is 1 inch. The combined target is 27 inches tall.
        >
        > The target for any season
        > should contrast with its background.
        >
        > The resulting combination of
        > three disks resembles a Cyclops style snowman which is appropriate for the
        > Winter season.
        >

        >  SCORING:
        > The horse is 1 point. The body
        > is 3 points. The head is 5 points. The visor circle is 15 points. Arrows
        > striking the edge of the visor disk count as the higher score. Arrows touching
        > the outer edge of any disk count for the appropriate score. Arrows striking
        > where two disks join, count as the higher score. There is a maximum total score
        > of 270 points, if the visor is hit with every shot.

      • Jonathas
        Message 4 of 9 , Dec 9, 2013
          It is in the rules for the shoot on the scores site.

          Horseman:
          http://www.scores-sca.org/public/scores_rules.php?R=25&Shoot=209

          Jonathas

        • yuriilev
          Message 5 of 9 , Dec 11, 2013
            Which file heading is it under? I couldn't find it.

            - Iurii
          • Chris Ivins
            Message 6 of 9 , Dec 11, 2013
              Sorry,
              That was in reply to Sir Jon's comment about the target image for the Imitation Horseman Shoot,

              "I will put it in the group files. - Jon"

              which was in reply to Moire Ayres comment,

              "For some reason the image come up requiring Quicktime and a decompressor to view the image. Since I am not willing to hunt down applications, would it be possible to have the file added to the files instead of as an attachment?

              Moire Ayres"

              Yahoo left out the usual "repeating of the previous messages in the 'conversation', my apologies.

              - IS,
              Iurii

              Message 7 of 9 , Dec 11, 2013
                Sir Jon,

                Disregard my original inquiry, I just went onto the rules page for the shoot and saw the illustration of the target.

                - Iurii

                Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Additional SSAC
                To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 3:41 PM

                Sorry,

                wrote:

                Which file heading is it under? I couldn't find it.

                - Iurii

                to leave this list]
                Yahoo Groups Links

              • John Edgerton
                Message 8 of 9 , Dec 11, 2013

                  The Imitation Horseman.

                  Message 9 of 9 , Dec 11, 2013
                    I found the The Imitation Horseman "doc" file on the Files page, but like the attachment in the original post, it didn't have the target image, like the reply posted by Moire Ayres I quoted earlier,

                    "For some reason the image come up requiring Quicktime and a decompressor to view the image. Since I am not willing to hunt down applications, would it be possible to have the file added to the files instead of as an attachment?
                    - Moire Ayres"

                    I thought you were going to upload the actual target image separately, that's what I was asking about. But I have since found the target image on the Scores page. Sorry if the 2-3 posts in a row confused my question.

                    - IS,
                    Iurii

                    To: "SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com" <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
                    Date: Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 5:06 PM