Acceptable Period Bows

  • jwandht
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2013

      With all the discussions in the last thread it got me thinking about what bows we could actually prove existed during our time period.  This is a jumping off point. I hope smarter minds than mine can add to this list.  For the Bows I have listed there is a period example in existence, not just a picture. I debated about European short bows as a class but could not find a relic example.  The Sheephorn Short Bow I have seen dates to the 1690’s, and the Neolithic bows found at La Draga predate SCA period; by 7000 years =o).

      Amazon Native American long bow
      Assyrian triangular bow
      Chinese bow
      Danish bow
      Early Egyptian bow
      English longbow
      Hungarian bow
      Hun bow
      Indo-Persian bow
      Indian steel bow
      Inuit bow
      Japanese Yumi
      Korean bow
      Mongolian bow
      North Native American short bow
      North Native American composite bow
      Pigmy bow
      Russian bow
      Skythian bow
      Turkish bow

    • Guy Taylor
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2013
        Aieee!
        So many non-English... so many "pre-period!"

        Just joking, I'd be good with any of those and I'd absolutely love to
        see them in use. But you're going to get arguments based on the above
        joke.

        Taillear

        --
        The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
        Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 11, 2013
          My understanding is the definition of the SCA period is it's just "before 1600 AD" so I don't think there is a bow that predates that.

          > On Nov 11, 2013, at 9:53 PM, Guy Taylor <greenmanarrows@...> wrote:
          >
          > Aieee!
          > So many non-English... so many "pre-period!"
          >
          > Just joking, I'd be good with any of those and I'd absolutely love to
          > see them in use. But you're going to get arguments based on the above
          > joke.
          >
          > Taillear
          >
          >> On 11/11/13, jwandht@... <jwandht@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> With all the discussions in the last thread it got me thinking about what
          >> bows we could actually prove existed during our time period. This is a
          >> jumping off point. I hope smarter minds than mine can add to this list. For
          >> the Bows I have listed there is a period example in existence, not just a
          >> picture. I debated about European short bows as a class but could not find a
          >> relic example. The Sheephorn Short Bow I have seen dates to the 1690’s, and
          >> the Neolithic bows found at La Draga predate SCA period; by 7000 years =o).
          >>

          >> Amazon Native American long bow
          >> Assyrian triangular bow
          >> Chinese bow
          >> Danish bow
          >> Early Egyptian bow
          >> English longbow
          >> Hungarian bow
          >> Hun bow
          >> Indo-Persian bow
          >> Indian steel bow
          >> Inuit bow
          >> Japanese Yumi
          >> Korean bow
          >> Mongolian bow
          >> North Native American short bow
          >> North Native American composite bow
          >> Pigmy bow
          >> Russian bow
          >> Skythian bow
          >> Turkish bow
          >

          > --
          > The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
          > Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.

          > Yahoo Groups Links

        • James Koch
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 11, 2013
            Gentlemen & Ladies,

            This is my thought exactly. Rather than argue what could have
            existed during the SCA period, lets stick to what we know
            existed. I'd also add irterpolation. In other words where we have a
            surviving example of a Hun bow and a contemporary illustration, we
            ought to be able to interpolate between the two. Where we get into
            trouble is when we start extrapolating designs. Perhaps we can allow
            a 10% extrapolation.

            Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

            > At 09:53 PM 11/11/2013, you wrote:
            >Aieee!
            >So many non-English... so many "pre-period!"
            >
            >Just joking, I'd be good with any of those and I'd absolutely love to
            >see them in use. But you're going to get arguments based on the above
            >joke.
            >
            >Taillear
            >
            >On 11/11/13, jwandht@... <jwandht@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > With all the discussions in the last thread it got me thinking about what
            > > bows we could actually prove existed during our time period. This is a
            > > jumping off point. I hope smarter minds than mine can add to this
            > list. For
            > > the Bows I have listed there is a period example in existence, not just a
            > > picture. I debated about European short bows as a class but could
            > not find a
            > > relic example. The Sheephorn Short Bow I have seen dates to the
            > 1690's, and
            > > the Neolithic bows found at La Draga predate SCA period; by 7000 years =o).
            > >

            > > Amazon Native American long bow
            > > Assyrian triangular bow
            > > Chinese bow
            > > Danish bow
            > > Early Egyptian bow
            > > English longbow
            > > Hungarian bow
            > > Hun bow
            > > Indo-Persian bow
            > > Indian steel bow
            > > Inuit bow
            > > Japanese Yumi
            > > Korean bow
            > > Mongolian bow
            > > North Native American short bow
            > > North Native American composite bow
            > > Pigmy bow
            > > Russian bow
            > > Skythian bow
            > > Turkish bow
            > >

            >--
            >The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
            >Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.

            >Yahoo Groups Links

          • Guy Taylor
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 11, 2013
              Actually, I completely agree with your definition of "period."
              But as we have seen here on the list, not everyone does.

              Taillear

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 12, 2013
                That's what it says in the corpora documents.
                So Mollegabets are totally in :)