I have been asked about period bow case and quiver. English tradition. Can anyone direct me to pictures of equipment that patterns could be taken from. Do we have examples of tooled leather on such? Charles O'Connor

  • J. Hughes
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2013

    • bradb17703
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 5, 2013

        > Now that just too funny... the text for the body of the msg is entirely
        in the subject line of the header...

        Doh!!

        Brada
      • J. Hughes
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 5, 2013
          Brada,

          email working funny today. Not my intention.

          Charles O'Connor

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2013
            >>I have been asked about period bow case and quiver. English tradition. Can anyone direct me to pictures of equipment that patterns could be taken from. Do we have examples of tooled leather on such?

            My gut feeling is.. no.
            Unless you were very wealthy, you couldn't afford to purchase a beautifully tooled quiver like they sell at the Ren-Faire.
            Common people rarely could afford leather other than on their feet.  So the peasantry would probably have a wicker quiver, maybe covered with cloth.  Mine is PVC covered with cloth<g> though I DID make a canvas bow-bag with wood disc.

            Of course, I've been wrong before and maybe there were millions of artistic quivers all around.  Check the Mary Rose and see what the soldiers carried.

            --
            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 5, 2013
              To my knowledge if we're talking England the arrow bag (there is a series on YouTube on making one) is the only known example.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 5, 2013
                I have the information on the arrow bags and my friend in the hospital has made one of those. I also have the quiver image from the archers in the Bayeux tapestry. He is interested in an upper class kit, probably for a noble's hunting rather than a soldier. I will be hitting my own books when I can access them.

                Charles O'Connor

                To my knowledge if we're talking England the arrow bag (there is a series on YouTube on making one) is the only known example.

                On Nov 5, 2013, at 11:50 AM, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

                >>I have been asked about period bow case and quiver. English tradition. Can anyone direct me to pictures of equipment that patterns could be taken from. Do we have examples of tooled leather on such?

                My gut feeling is.. no.
                Unless you were very wealthy, you couldn't afford to purchase a beautifully tooled quiver like they sell at the Ren-Faire.
                Common people rarely could afford leather other than on their feet.  So the peasantry would probably have a wicker quiver, maybe covered with cloth.  Mine is PVC covered with cloth<g> though I DID make a canvas bow-bag with wood disc.

                Of course, I've been wrong before and maybe there were millions of artistic quivers all around.  Check the Mary Rose and see what the soldiers carried.

                On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 9:31 AM, <bradb@...> wrote:

                > Now that just too funny... the text for the body of the msg is entirely
                in the subject line of the header...

                Doh!!

                Brada

                --
                Rick Johnson
                http://rick-johnson.webs.com/

              • John R. Edgerton
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2013
                  In the meantime try googling "martyrdom saint archers" and look something by an English painter.

                  Jon

                • Jonathan L Murphy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 5, 2013

                    There are lots of images of quivers, just not so much on the detail side.  There is a fairly standard shape for crossbow quivers in the artwork (wide bottom, narrower top).  Later period, bags are popular since the source is known.  I dug around to find some images because another popular place for arrows is in the belt.  Not a fan.

                    Jon/Seamus

                    >>I have been asked about period bow case and quiver. English tradition. Can anyone direct me to pictures of equipment that patterns could be taken from. Do we have examples of tooled leather on such?

                    My gut feeling is.. no.

                    Unless you were very wealthy, you couldn't afford to purchase a beautifully tooled quiver like they sell at the Ren-Faire.

                    Common people rarely could afford leather other than on their feet.  So the peasantry would probably have a wicker quiver, maybe covered with cloth.  Mine is PVC covered with cloth<g> though I DID make a canvas bow-bag with wood disc.

                    Of course, I've been wrong before and maybe there were millions of artistic quivers all around.  Check the Mary Rose and see what the soldiers carried.

                    On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 9:31 AM, <bradb@...> wrote:

                    > Now that just too funny... the text for the body of the msg is entirely
                    in the subject line of the header...

                    Doh!!

                    Brada

                    --
                    Rick Johnson
                    http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                  • jwandht
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 7, 2013

                      Antonio Pisano, called Pisanello
                      Italian, c. 1395-c. 1455

                      Bowcase and Quiver of Arrows, 1438

                      http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/citi/images/standard/WebLarge/WebImg_000151/3553_1618369.jpg

                      ---In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, <sirjon1@...> wrote:

                      In the meantime try googling "martyrdom saint archers" and look something by an English painter.

                      Jon

                    • jwandht
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 7, 2013

                        link to the picture Sir John is talking about

                        http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7001209.JPG

                        ---In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, <sirjon1@...> wrote:

                        In the meantime try googling "martyrdom saint archers" and look something by an English painter.

                        Jon

                      • J. Hughes