Period / non-period Costs

  • Doug Copley
    Message 1 of 58 , Nov 1, 2013
      Starting a new thread - only to discuss cost side of period versus non-period archery rules.

      IMO, I really hate to make cost a factor. A bow is period or it is not period.

      If someone wants to shoot a really long traditional Japanese bow that is fine. but if they say that is what I want but I do not want to spend the money for it. Well then, pick something else to shoot.

      Now if the group decides to allow fiberglass for bows as long as they look period, that is fine. now the person that wants that Japanese bow can afford it.

      I do not shoot one of the cheep longbows because they are not as good. I spent more on mine because that is what I wanted (and my wife bought it for me for my birthday!). However, it has taken a set, it will not last another 10 years, I really hate to spend another $800 to get a new one, so i might consider the options.

      That being said, making it so that the bows are safer, last longer, cheaper, and they look and act the same, maybe we should consider allowing fiberglass. If fiberglass is allowed for one, it should be allowed for all. A fiberglass horsebow will last much longer than an all wood longbow. So what is good for one should be good for all, IMO.

      Our goal should be to educate, have fun, share, laugh, learn, and try to improve ourselves and help those around us improve if they want to.

      Vincenti
      Ansteorra

    • John R. Edgerton
      Message 58 of 58 , Nov 3, 2013
        Note. I wrote "long bow" not "longbow". Perhaps I should have included a smiley. ;-) But, as you have said there is no starting date for "period", there is no pre-period. In any period contest I was running, it would be allowed.

        Jon

        Carolus <eulenhorst@...> wrote:

        Sir Jon,
        I think I would classify it in the flatbow category rather than the longbow (YMMV).  Much of this depends on personal classification, though; I don't look at length alone as defining a longbow.
        Carolus

        On 11/1/2013 12:21 PM, John Edgerton wrote:

        That appears to be a copy of the Meare Heath bow. It is definitely pre-1600.  It was found in England.  And it is a long bow.

        Jon