Period Archery and the SCA

  • ater_seraph
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2013
      When I first joined this group back in June, when I began shooting in the Period category in An Tir, I though that there would some great discussions on Period Archery, and how we can make it more accessible for everyone. Boy was I mistaken. Since then, I have seen repeated ad hominem attacks against anyone for merely suggesting having such a category, and wanting to see more Period Archery. (Which is funny, since the SCA is supposed to be a medieval group) Sir Jon, I'm sorry but I cannot handle the pervasive attitude in the SCA, and on this list, of the hostility to those that wish to see more done to promote  period archery, along side modern archery. I am unsubbing.  I bid you a good day Sir Jon...
    • Kevin Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2013
        I think you're exaggerating the attitude. There has been hostility towards those who want to restrict the definition if period archery to a very narrowly defined subset if what we have evidence existed and wish to require only the use of difficult to acquire or expensive materials.

        On Oct 28, 2013, at 1:38 PM, ater_seraph@... wrote:

        When I first joined this group back in June, when I began shooting in the Period category in An Tir, I though that there would some great discussions on Period Archery, and how we can make it more accessible for everyone. Boy was I mistaken. Since then, I have seen repeated ad hominem attacks against anyone for merely suggesting having such a category, and wanting to see more Period Archery. (Which is funny, since the SCA is supposed to be a medieval group) Sir Jon, I'm sorry but I cannot handle the pervasive attitude in the SCA, and on this list, of the hostility to those that wish to see more done to promote  period archery, along side modern archery. I am unsubbing.  I bid you a good day Sir Jon...

      • Bai-Or
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2013
          M'Lord,

          From one period archer to another, I implore you to stick it out.  I know that it doesn't seem like the most welcoming home for period archery and I know how frustrating it can be to get a good discussion on how we can encourage greater use of period bows on the line.  But trust me, there are changes coming, even if I have to drag them in by the horns.  We WILL have a finished and polished period archery guild, hopefully soon and we will have more period archers ready to address and change the rules for their division of archery.

          Hang in there!

          --
          Eógan
          Archery Captain, Shire of Mynydd Seren
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 28, 2013
            I would like to make it clear that discussion is encouraged in this group. Argument and attacks are not.

            So far two people have left the group because of the nature of some of the posts. Stay polite or I will start putting people on moderated status no matter which side of the discussion they support.

            Sir Jon FitzRauf, group owner