period division equipment rules?

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 15, 2013
      On the same note as my question about Royal Round period division rules, which kingdoms have rules defining "period" equipment for handbows and crossbows in general? And do they separate and record the scores of the archers in competitions shot in their kingdom by Open and Period? And if so, is it done for all competitions (excluding IKACs and Period RRs)  or just some?

      If an archer shoots with period equipment in that kingdom, are their scores separated from those shot with modern-open style equipment or are they always lumped together? I am trying to determine which kingdoms have separate period equipment rules and divisions and what these rules are. This information will be useful for a discussion in the Period Archery group.

      Thank you

      Jon
    • imgoingtophobos

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 15, 2013
          greetings

          in ansteorra, excluding period royal rounds , ikac and specialty shoots ( period style or crossbow  equipment only ) .
          all crossbows and period style bows shoot right beside the take down recurves, shooting at the same target , the same ranges, for the same title or prize.
          special " period " rules only apply to the royal round or " specialty " shoots here ( as far as in kingdom shoots, ikac and other society shoots , their rules apply.

          scoring is only kept for royal rounds and society shoots , in ansteorra , we see a lot of " title " shoots, and " prize " shoots ,and " fun " shoots , but overall I have rarely seen scores posted after any event .
          and I'm on most of the archery lists here.

          Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
          Arthur
          On the same note as my question about Royal Round period division rules, which kingdoms have rules defining "period" equipment for handbows and crossbows in general? And do they separate and record the scores of the archers in competitions shot in their kingdom by Open and Period? And if so, is it done for all competitions (excluding IKACs and Period RRs)  or just some?

          If an archer shoots with period equipment in that kingdom, are their scores separated from those shot with modern-open style equipment or are they always lumped together? I am trying to determine which kingdoms have separate period equipment rules and divisions and what these rules are. This information will be useful for a discussion in the Period Archery group.

          Thank you

          Jon

          No virus found in this message.

        • imgoingtophobos

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 15, 2013
              greetings

              lol, well after 31 years in the sca, i've been on the ranges a long time ; )
              less now that arthritus , pain , and medications seem to control my life : (
              i've actually seen 3 period equipment only shoots, and i hosted one of those... ( even if only one archer showed up with period gear )
              and one crossbow only shoot .

              Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
              Arthur

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013
                    greetings

                    when I started , " period " style equipment was for the rich.
                    and people who could actually make a good bow were few and far between. ( not to mention expensive )
                    but recurves were in pawn shops and yard sales all over the place , at an affordable price.

                    now people have a choice, for about the same price , they can choose between a good self or wood laminate bow or  a modern take down bow.
                    although self nocked arrows are still problematical at times.
                    not to mention the wild growth in crossbows : )  ( I haven't seen a steel cable string on a crossbow in years ; )

                    but there are now places like OJAM   and  MOJAM , and even individuals teaching , where people can go to learn to make bows for themselves and others . ( oops , almost forgot you tube as well )
                    as well as merchants at large events and wars selling cheap " period style " starter bows out of red oak .

                    in all reality , if people would bring / use their period equipment, and marshals would run period style shoots for their " title " shoots , and  " open " shoots for some of their " fun shoots.
                    both groups would get to shoot.
                    but like I said, it will take both parties wanting the same thing.
                    marshals will have to design and run more period shoots , and people will have to bring / use their period equipment.
                    but so far , not many people are telling their marshals and their landeds that they want to see and participate in more period archery shoots.......  ( so spread the word )

                    on that note , you don't have to be a marshal to " sponsor " a period shoot.
                    research a period style shoot, talk to a marshal to be sure that it can safely be run on your site , barter or make or buy some kind of prize, convince a marshal to set it up and run it, and advertise it well in advance and at every opportunity , so that hopefully people will show up, then have some fun....

                    Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                    Arthur

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013
                      Arthur,

                      I can sympathize with your situation. I have been in the Society 35 years and am also dealing with arthritis and other medical conditions that prohibit my ever again making the scores I use to.

                      But I would suggest that where you are will dictate to an extent how much you could have period only shoots. When I lived in AEthelmearc or Atlantia, it would not have been difficult. I now live in the Wiregrass area of southern Alabama and Georgia where just getting together to shoot archery is a challenge and the density of archers is so low that shoots at events are all that can presently be achieved. But the goal of encouraging period equipment is very possible (increased use locally of crossbows is helping).

                      Charles O'Connor

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 17, 2013
                        greetings

                        oh believe me I understand.
                        I live in ansteorra, where a " close " event is usually over two hours away , and it is usually closer to drive to gulf war than it is to get to an event on the other side of the kingdom .
                        not to mention, some of the dense population areas, where it is almost impossible to find places to hold practices : (
                        yes, as crossbows and period equipment comes down in cost, more people are using them  : )