Period Royal Rounds?

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
      How many kingdoms have a period division for their Round Rounds? And if yours does, where can the rules for the period division be found?

      The West, at this time, does not have one.

      Jon
    • Kevin Smith
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
        If we do in Atlantia I don't know about it.

        On Oct 15, 2013, at 3:08 PM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

        How many kingdoms have a period division for their Round Rounds? And if yours does, where can the rules for the period division be found?

        The West, at this time, does not have one.

        Jon

      • Jonathas
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
          Sir Jon,

          Atlantia does have a 'Period Bow' division within our Royal Round.  The rules for which can be found at:
          http://www.scores-sca.org/public/scores_rules.php?R=2&Shoot=2
          Take note of 1.1.8.2 which is the Period Bow rules, these have worked well for us for a number of years.  Simple default construction, with an allowance for documentable period construction, but that documentation falls on the bow owner (not the marshal) to provide.

          Period Handbow - This category is designed to hold all handbows of period construction, made in a period manner, only allowing moderate changes for modern safety. This category therefore holds all bows, be they straight or recurved, that meet the following construction guidelines:
          1. The bow shall not have a center cut arrow shelf. Built-up shelves (such as a piece of cork wrapped onto the bow), markings, or narrow notches (no more than an arrow width), are acceptible.
          2. The bow must have a solid core of wood, or other period material. It may have a single backing, and/or a belly lamination of any material. However a period handbow should not simply have three thin laminations with the power coming from the laminations. Otherwise the bow must meet the qualifications listed in the following rule.
          3. Alternatively, the bow can be of a style that can be documented to exist in period, whose construction doesn`t meet the qualifications as given above. However, it must be constructed predominately of period materials (small exceptions allowed for safety), and assembled in a period manner (in regards to the structure, laminations, shape, etc). This, for example, would include japanese bows made of multiple bamboo laminations or Mongolian style bows made of multiple laminations of wood and horn. It does not include, for example, bows made primarily of modern material, such as a solid fiberglass longbow.

          Jonathas

          On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

          How many kingdoms have a period division for their Round Rounds? And if yours does, where can the rules for the period division be found?

          The West, at this time, does not have one.

          Jon

        • Gordon Kinnie
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013

            Atlantia has a period bow class for Royal Rounds.

            These are the governing rules.

                  1. Period Handbow - This category is designed to hold all handbows of period construction, made in a period manner, only allowing moderate changes for modern safety. This category therefore holds all bows, be they straight or recurved, that meet the following construction guidelines:
[...]

            Godai Katsunaga

            How many kingdoms have a period division for their Round Rounds? And if yours does, where can the rules for the period division be found?

            The West, at this time, does not have one.

            Jon

          • John R. Edgerton

                  How many kingdoms have a period division for their Round Rounds? And if yours does, where can the rules for the period division be found?

                  The West, at this time, does not have one.

                  Jon

                • Frank Schalles
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
                    Ansteorra has one. see http://www.scores-sca.org/home/index.php?R=8&
                    which is the Royal Rounds page.

                    Francois

                    On 10/15/13, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
                    > How many kingdoms have a period division for their Round Rounds? And if
                    > yours does, where can the rules for the period division be found?
                    >
                    > The West, at this time, does not have one.
                    >
                    > Jon
                  • John R. Edgerton
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013

                      Frank Schalles <francisschalles@...> wrote:

                      Ansteorra has one. see http://www.scores-sca.org/home/index.php?R=8&
                      which is the Royal Rounds page.

                      Francois

                      On 10/15/13, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
                      > How many kingdoms have a period division for their Round Rounds? And if
                      > yours does, where can the rules for the period division be found?
                      >
                      > The West, at this time, does not have one.
                      >
                      > Jon

                    • John Edgerton
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
                        So your rules do not prohibit built in shelfs or cut out risers in the Period handbow division.  And in the Period crossbow division aluminum or fiberglass prods are not allowed.

                        Jon

                        > How many kingdoms have a period division for their Round Rounds? And if
                        > yours does, where can the rules for the period division be found?
                        >
                        > The West, at this time, does not have one.
                        >
                        > Jon

                      • Ld.blackmoon
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
                          greetings

                           ansteorra does have period royal rounds --- http://www.scores-sca.org/home/index.php?R=8&

                          Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                          Arthur

                          How many kingdoms have a period division for their Round Rounds? And if yours does, where can the rules for the period division be found?

                          The West, at this time, does not have one.

                          Jon

                          No virus found in this message.

                        • Joe Klovance
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
                            From the cited page "or give an advantage over someone using purely period materials and construction." I would say they shelfs and cut out risers "give an advantage".

                            Gryffyd

                            To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                            From: sirjon1@...
                            Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 13:57:12 -0700

                            So your rules do not prohibit built in shelfs or cut out risers in the Period handbow division.  And in the Period crossbow division aluminum or fiberglass prods are not allowed.

                            Jon

                            > How many kingdoms have a period division for their Round Rounds? And if
                            > yours does, where can the rules for the period division be found?
                            >
                            > The West, at this time, does not have one.
                            >
                            > Jon

                          • tompilcher
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
                              An Tir has period divisions.

                              Rules are here:

                              Period bow:
                              A handbow or crossbow that conforms in spirit and/or actuality to bows common during the time period covered by the SCA.
                              The following are prohibited:
                              1. Full or partial center cut sight windows.
                              2. Limb marks or sighting aids.
                              3. Non-period arrow rests.
                              4. Take down bows.

                              Allowed:
                              1. Period style longbows of any material, including modern laminated longbows, but with no cutout sight window.
                              2. Period style recurves of any material. A bow with recurved limb ends or static limb tips, such as Siyahs on Asiatic bows, but with no cutout sight window, are considered period style bows.
                              3. A crossbow having a solid wooden stock or body in the shape of pre-1650 crossbows is a period style bow. It may not have a rifle style butt. It may have simple, documentable rear sights. A crossbow having a plastic or modern composite material stock or body, with cutouts through the stock or body, is not a period style bow.

                              Archos James Llewellyn ap Gruffydd, OP

                              Sent from Windows Mail

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
                                the rules as applied do NOT alow built in shelfs or cut out risers, that may or may not be in the writen rules but that is what is applied.

                                plachoya
                                Ansteorra

                                So your rules do not prohibit built in shelfs or cut out risers in the Period handbow division.  And in the Period crossbow division aluminum or fiberglass prods are not allowed.

                                Jon

                                > How many kingdoms have a period division for their Round Rounds? And if
                                > yours does, where can the rules for the period division be found?
                                >
                                > The West, at this time, does not have one.
                                >
                                > Jon

                              • Gordon Kinnie
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 16, 2013

                                  I really like these rules.  Very simple and straight forward.

                                  In Atlantia, we track the period bow separately.   Same score and target as the royal rounds but period bows have their own category.

                                  Also, we have some shots that separate bows by class.

                                  Godai

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 16, 2013
                                    wish all regions had crossbow in its own tried for years too lol
                                    like it too

                                    To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 16, 2013
                                      Does anyone have period divisions or period advice for thrown weapons?

                                      James of Odo, Fidelibus
                                      Lonely Tower, in Calontir

                                    • Ld.blackmoon
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 17, 2013

                                        greetings

                                        over the years I have seen a large number of hurlbats being thrown instead of axes.

                                        for my throws, I have always allowed double bitted axes , since they were used in period, ( and they normally weigh twice as much )
                                        what I've done the last several years, was make it a rule that to compete in my throws, you had to use an " axe  ", wooden handle and metal head .
                                        no poly handles, no all metal hurlbats, and no more than two sticking surfaces  ( i.e.: no spikes on handle or top )

                                        I prefer that knives look like knives , but never made any rules changes on that, so there are a lot of the modern throwing knives being used here.

                                        most of the spears used here are made from other things ( bayonets , hoes,nails, etc ) , and our targets vary from horizontal to vertical ,so we haven't gotten to the point of really organizing
                                        a lot of detailed rules for thrown weapons yet.
                                        lower participation in much of the kingdom also slows rules generation and modifications.

                                        Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                                        Arthur
                                        Does anyone have period divisions or period advice for thrown weapons?

                                        James of Odo, Fidelibus
                                        Lonely Tower, in Calontir

                                        ---- russ register <russellregister@...> wrote:
                                        > wish all regions had crossbow in its own tried for years too lol
                                        > like it too
                                        >

                                        > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                        > From: am_piobaire@...
                                        > Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:53:22 -0400
                                        > Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] Period Royal Rounds?

                                        > I really like these rules. Very simple
                                        > and straight forward.
                                        >

                                        > In Atlantia, we track the period bow separately.
                                        > Same score and target as the royal rounds but period bows have their own category.
                                        >
                                        > Also, we have some shots that separate bows
                                        > by class.
                                        >

                                        > Godai

                                      • Chris Ivins
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 17, 2013
                                          As far as I know, we don't have a 'period' division in our thrown weapons, though we do have standardized requirements for the equipment, here are the most recent ones from the An Tir Book of Target:

                                          "K.3 Knives
                                          a. The handle (or scales) of the knife, if any, must be firmly attached.
                                          b. The throwing surface should be free of burrs or protrusions that can cut or injure an unprotected hand upon release.
                                          c. Knives are to be a minimum of 10 inches in length (with a demonstration of ability to throw the equipment safely for throwers unknown to the range master) and a maximum of 16 inches in length and not more than 2.5 inches wide. Knives are to have one sticking point only and must have the traditional shape of a knife.

                                          K.4 Axes
                                          a. The handle must be firmly attached.
                                          b. The handle cannot have any major cracks.
                                          c. The handle cannot have any burrs or rough surfaces that can cut or give splinters to an unprotected hand upon release.
                                          d. All axes shall have wooden handles between 12 inches and 24 inches in length.
                                          e. All axe heads shall be metal, with a single blade of not more than four (4) inches in width on the striking edge.
                                          f. No top spikes, spike polls, or butt-spiked handles are allowed.
                                          g. Some axes are designed to allow the head to slide up a tapered handle and pressure-fit on. The heads will come off if they are pushed toward the butt of the handle. When the axe is used, the head is forced into place and seats tightly. The inspecting marshal should ensure that the head does indeed seat tightly and will not slip over the taper.

                                          K.5 Spears
                                          a. The spearhead must be firmly attached to the shaft of the spear, and have a width of no more than 2 ½ inches.
                                          b. The shaft cannot have any burrs or rough surfaces that can cut or give splinters to an unprotected hand upon release.
                                          c. The shaft must be sound and without major cracks.
                                          d. Spears shall not have flights or any stabilizers attached.
                                          e. Spears must be no less than 4-feet in length and no longer than 7-feet in overall length.

                                          K.6 Atl-Atls
                                          a. Darts used must be designed for use in the Atl-Atl.
                                          b. The haft must be sound and without cracks.
                                          c. Breakaway heads are not permitted at any time.
                                          d. The dart holder and any other attached components must be firmly attached to the Atl-Atl.
                                          e. Atl-Atls may not be used in spear throwing competitions."

                                          Hope that is useful.

                                          - In Service,
                                                                Iurii