AN EXTREMELY embarassing question

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2013
      I was showing my arrows to some friends and my ex-gf said that she had
      no time to shop for arrows and wanted to pay me to make her a dozen or
      so.

      I explained that mostplaces charge between $50-$100 per half-dozen or
      more so the ones she was looking at would go for about $60 for the 6 I
      made.

      Today I was talking to another woman and did the math.
      I went to 3-Rivers and priced shafts, heads, feathers (no nocks) and
      ignored thread and coating (linseed oil) then calculated howmuch it
      would cost in materials alone per arrow.

      About $6-and-change perarrow in materials.
      I also estimated that it would take me about a half hour per arrow
      (NOT including dry time) to produce an arrow that 'looked' traditional
      and would pass casual look.

      Ok, I get paid $17/hr to push papers for the courthouse.. a job you
      can shave a chimp to accomplish.

      So at $8.50 per hour per shaft plus $6 per materials.. I can produce
      arrows for a cost of ...
      $14.50 each!

      No wonder artists in America are starving!
      Machine-made mass-produced arrows cost between $8 and $20 each!

      So here is the embarassing question.
      For those of you who make andsell arrows, how much do you charge per
      shaft and what is your hourly wage?
      For those of you who buy arrows from SCA people, how much do you pay
      per shaft???

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 8, 2013
        The arrows I sell are two basic prices:
        $90 dz for plain arrows.
        $110 dz for crowned and crested arrows.
        $30 over base price for horn reinforced self nocks.
        Special artwork is on an as-quoted basis.
        I hand spine and hand weigh all shafts when I receive them from the
        shaft manufacturer.

        How much do I make per hour? I don't know, I've been too scared to
        figure it out. I know I'm going broke making arrows though.

        Taillear

        On 10/8/13, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:
        > I was showing my arrows to some friends and my ex-gf said that she had
        > no time to shop for arrows and wanted to pay me to make her a dozen or
        > so.
        >
        > I explained that mostplaces charge between $50-$100 per half-dozen or
        > more so the ones she was looking at would go for about $60 for the 6 I
        > made.
        >
        > Today I was talking to another woman and did the math.
        > I went to 3-Rivers and priced shafts, heads, feathers (no nocks) and
        > ignored thread and coating (linseed oil) then calculated howmuch it
        > would cost in materials alone per arrow.
        >
        > About $6-and-change perarrow in materials.
        > I also estimated that it would take me about a half hour per arrow
        > (NOT including dry time) to produce an arrow that 'looked' traditional
        > and would pass casual look.
        >
        > Ok, I get paid $17/hr to push papers for the courthouse.. a job you
        > can shave a chimp to accomplish.
        >
        > So at $8.50 per hour per shaft plus $6 per materials.. I can produce
        > arrows for a cost of ...
        > $14.50 each!
        >
        > No wonder artists in America are starving!
        > Machine-made mass-produced arrows cost between $8 and $20 each!
        >
        > So here is the embarassing question.
        > For those of you who make andsell arrows, how much do you charge per
        > shaft and what is your hourly wage?
        > For those of you who buy arrows from SCA people, how much do you pay
        > per shaft???
        >

        > --
        > Rick Johnson
        > http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

        The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
        Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.
      • Doug Copley
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 8, 2013
          I have never sold any. I use the barter system, or teach them so they can make their own. If I charged I would scare people:-)

          Vincenti
          Ansteorra

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 8, 2013
            My daughter is a knitter.
            She taught women in Africa how to knit when she wasn't running that
            field hospital for the Peace Corps.
            One woman in Tucson wanted a wool (I think) baby blanket and offered $20,
            Cerridwen laughed "that won't even cover the cost of the materials!"

            If it costs me $6+ per arow for materials and that is just an arrow,
            nothing special like you produce... There is no way I can do this for
            anything other than fun.

          • Janyn Fletcher
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 8, 2013
              I have never made arrows in the SCA for profit. The raw materials cost me roughly $58 a dozen. I typically charge $75 a dozen for basic arrows and up to $125 for dipped and my top end arrows per dozen. This hardly covers materials and my time but it is a labor of love.

              Janyn

[...]

            • JonThomme De Claydon
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 8, 2013
                Quoting a famous archer who's name escapes me (Pope?). "It takes an hour to make a good arrow, it takes all day to make a bad one."
                JT

                On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Janyn Fletcher <janynfletcher@...> wrote:

[...]

                In service to the dream

                Baron Jon Thomme

                Gold is for the mistress
                Silver for the maid
                R. Kipling
              • Kat Pogatshnik
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 9, 2013
                  I either have them buy the materials and send them to me (this way they know exactly how much the cost of the materials is) or I buy them and let them know the price.  Then I let them decide how much they would like to give me over or in trade.  This is generally $20.  So they pay around $100/dozen arrows.

                   ~Alessandra de Piro
                • Ulfrik Valdrikson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 10, 2013
                    I generally sell mine for base cost of materials, +5% for labor, and +5% for time. as I'm still new and my technique unrefined, and slightly lower end shafts, I've been selling my last batch for 30 dollars for 6 completed arrows, and 50 for a dozen.

                    Ulfri valdrikson
                    shire of southmarch