Re: [SCA-Archery] RE: arrows

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2013
      I was wondering who the primary supplier was.
      Rose City, how about a URL or such to help track down the right company

      On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 6:49 AM, <cogworks@...> wrote:

      Kinda surprised no one has recommended Rose City.  That's the company most businesses that sell cedar shafts get theirs from.  Check them out.  If you can swing buying 100 you get a better price.  They also offer lots of options, straight, guaranteed within 5 oz weight, pre-coated, etc.

      cog

      ---In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, <sca-archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I finished a half-dozen arrows recently. As soon as i crest them with
      my Arms colors (black, red & white), I'll upload pics.

      Honestly, they turned out very nice! Much nicer than I expected!

      I had to stop at 6 only because I ran out of fletching<g>. But I can
      buy more B&W feathers this weekend (after the car is fixed) and I
      still have a dozen points in my box and 18 more shafts in the tube,
      already coated and protected.

      My current problem is that I lost the shipping label and forgot which
      company from whom I bought the shafts. So I went through 18 months of
      checks and found three companies that sell archery:
      *GIBow
      *3RiversArchery
      *RMArchery.

      I only buy bows and strings from GIBow.
      3Rivers shows that I buy points and minor things from them.
      RMArchery has no record of me as a customer despite me sending them
      $50 and since RM website no longer carries shafts, I am looking for a
      new supplier.

      Anyone care to share their favorite suppliers of shafts and why?
      Also, do you prefer Cedar, fir or another wood? and why?

      I've made arrows from pine dowels in the past with obvious problems so
      prefer cedar myself. I'm also willing to pay extra to have them
      pre-splined and guaranteed straight.

      Note: one company sells cedar shafts for $6 per dozen but will not
      guarantee straight grain or straight shafts... obviously I passed them
      by.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
    • houseofgrey
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2013

        Here is a post from Mungo, on this list but unable to connect at the time of reply.  I have experienced a few, very few shafts with the sap problem he refers to in his post.  I've found that after I applied the sealing coast, gasket sealer, there is no more leaking.  About a year ago Rose City put out an email to all customers that they had to raise their shaft rates due to some extra tax that was applied to arrow shafting (can we say archer shafting as well?  :-)  )  I notice on their new web site that they seem to have expanded their line of offerings, quiver, arm guards, etc.

        cog

        Here's Mungo's post:

        Rose City Archery is at: http://www.rosecityarchery.com/ . Rose City shafts can be purchased at a considerable discount from FS Discount Archery: http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/ . FS sells them at just above wholesale as a loss leader.

        Rose City shafts USED TO BE cut exclusively from "sinker" logs, old timber salvaged from the bottom of abandoned log ponds in Oregon. The wood was 50-100 years old and naturally seasoned. With recent batches of shafts from FS, I have noticed that they are frequently bleeding pitch just like those from 3Rivers. This indicates to me that the RS shafts are now from freshly cut trees and the supply of sinkers has run out. I also noticed that the RS sub-page discussing their source has disappeared from their web site. FS says they are still selling RS shafts, but the quality seems to be about the same as those from 3Rivers. I've gone back to buying some shafts from FS anyway, since the price is considerably lower. Given that the direct price from RS is waaaaay out of line, I do not order directly from them. It would be interesting (but an expensive and unscientific experiment) to see how shafts ordered directly from RS compare with the two other sources.

        For my personal modern "pretty" arrows, I've been buying tapers from 3Rivers. I like them, but with my somewhat clumsy shooting I can't see much difference between them and untapered shafts. For loaner arrows and for my experiments with period arrows, I buy untapered shafts from FS.

[...]

      • talonoak
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 6, 2013
          I had a discussion with Ygraine at Kellswood Crafts about that over a year ago. Even though everyone else is raising their prices due to this extra tax, Kellswood Crafts has not. Their prices has been the same ($30 for a dozen shafts) since the fall of 2006 (they buy their shafts from Rose City). The only tax that is paid on their shafts is when MA customers have to pay sales tax. No other customer has to pay sales tax. Of course, to purchase Cedar shafts from them, you need to contact them directly to ensure they have them in stock. When I purchased some it took me over 3 weeks to get them because they had just received a shipment of 5000 shafts and hadn't had time to weigh and spine check then yet. When I got mine, all of the shafts were within a pound of each other and within 10 grains of each other in weight.

          Eoin

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 6, 2013
            Don't know if this applies to the 'tax' you have been discussing, but I recently made a purchase online from a business for one of my 'other' hobbies/interests, and saw on the invoice that it said "Maryland State Sales & Internet Tax". I emailed the seller and asked him what that was about, since I don't live in Maryland, and Oregon doesn't have sales tax, his reply is below.

            "In Maryland, internet based business's pay MD sales tax on all purchases made from out of state and sales made through the internet.  Rather than hide that tax by raising the price of the merchandise I prefer to show it for what it is."

            So I don't know if this is something that all sellers are/will be doing, but is this the new tax they might be referring to, or is it something completely different?

            - Iurii

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 6, 2013
              http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i720.pdf

              See "What's New" on the first page, first column, second section.

              "Arrow shafts (IRS No. 106). For calendar year 2013 the tax on arrow
              shafts is $.48 per arrow shaft."

              This tax has been in place for quite some time. It was modified a few
              years ago due to lobbying from large synthetic material shaft
              manufacturers who saw an unfair discrepancy being applied to foreign
              shaft manufacturers. Unfortunately, domestic wood shafts got the raw
              end of the deal.
              This tax is paid by the manufacturers, not the retailer.

              Taillear

              On 10/6/13, Chris Ivins <yuriilev@...> wrote:
              > Don't know if this applies to the 'tax' you have been discussing, but I
              > recently made a purchase online from a business for one of my 'other'
              > hobbies/interests, and saw on the invoice that it said "Maryland State Sales
              > & Internet Tax". I emailed the seller and asked him what that was about,
              > since I don't live in Maryland, and Oregon doesn't have sales tax, his reply
              > is below.
              >
              > "In Maryland, internet based business's pay MD sales tax on all purchases
              > made from out of state and sales made through the internet.  Rather
              > than hide that tax by raising the price of the merchandise I prefer to
              > show it for what it is."
              >
              > So I don't know if this is something that all sellers are/will be doing, but
              > is this the new tax they might be referring to, or is it something
              > completely different?
              >

              > - Iurii
              >

              >>________________________________

              The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
              Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.
            • Chris Ivins
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 6, 2013
                Ok, thanks for the clarification, didn't know about a specific shaft tax, mainly because I've only bought arrows that are built already.

                - Iurii

                See "What's New" on the first page, first column, second section.

                "Arrow shafts (IRS No. 106). For calendar year 2013 the tax on arrow
                shafts is $.48 per arrow shaft."

                This tax has been in place for quite some time. It was modified a few
                years ago due to lobbying from large synthetic material shaft
                manufacturers who saw an unfair discrepancy being applied to foreign
                shaft manufacturers. Unfortunately, domestic wood shafts got the raw
                end of the deal.
                This tax is paid by the manufacturers, not the retailer.

                Taillear

                On 10/6/13, Chris Ivins <yuriilev@...> wrote:
                > Don't know if this applies to the 'tax' you have been discussing, but I
                > recently made a purchase online from a business for one of my 'other'
                > hobbies/interests, and saw on the invoice that it said "Maryland State Sales
                > & Internet Tax". I emailed the seller and asked him what that was about,
                > since I don't live in Maryland, and Oregon doesn't have sales tax, his reply
                > is below.
                >
                > "In Maryland, internet based business's pay MD sales tax on all purchases
                > made from out of state and sales made through the internet.  Rather
                > than hide that tax by raising the price of the merchandise I prefer to
                > show it for what it is."
                >
                > So I don't know if this is something that all sellers are/will be doing, but
                > is this the new tax they might be referring to, or is it something
                > completely different?
                >

                > - Iurii
                >

                >>________________________________

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

              • Guy Taylor
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 6, 2013
                  The excise tax on archery products is part of the Pittman-Robertson Act.

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittman%E2%80%93Robertson_Federal_Aid_in_Wildlife_Restoration_Act

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 13, 2013
                    I finished my first real arrows.
                    In all the decades that I've been 'playing' with archery, it is only recently that I actually started to LEARN Archery and make my own gear.

                    Thus a added to the PICTURES FOLDER "My Longbow" photos of my arrows and some other gear I made.
                    Unfortunately, the only pic I have of me actually USING my finished longbow is one on the range.  I shall have to correct that.

                    --
                    Rick Johnson
                    http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com