Re: RE: [SCA-Archery] making arrows

  • Janyn Fletcher
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2013
      Like birds of a feather COG :) I guess I should have stepped away myself but here goes....

      Thank you all for the kind comments. It was something I wanted to try and do myself and I have to be honest that my arthritis in my hands lets me know that doing "all scratch" arrows is something that I probably wont be doing all the time. Now with that said, frankly I think it is impractical for event to event shooting that most of us do. I shoot "traditional" arrows as do most others around me. It is more cost effective and they tend to be more accurate for the competitions we take part in. I dont see anything wrong with this at all because even traditional arrows are still made in the same spirit as period shafts were. The fact that we can purchase the components does not "cheapen" anything for me.

      Janyn

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2013

        Cog, I really love your “HAD to” comments. As one that has had 3 different sets of arrows made by Janyn, I feel lucky and fortunate to be able to show off his craftsman ship. And “YES”, he made those arrows. Or constructed…or whatever word you wish to insert. I make my clothing for SCA; do I grow the fibre? Do I weave it? No. But I demm sure to “MAKE” my clothing and in order to do so, I make (yes, some will say “earn” not “make”) my money so that I can continue to have fun in the SCA. And one word is not going to change that fact for me.

        Godai, like Janyn, does not grow the product, to make his bamboo arrows or forge the steel for the points, but you can be demm sure that he makes his long-arsed arrows.

        Do the Laurels, grow the wheat to make the bread/drink? Do they they grow the fibres to make the thread/linen/cloth? There might be some that do, but they are the exception. And there are many Laurels that do “NOT” and they are still a Laurel.

        dictionary.com: to bring into existence by shaping or changing material, combining parts. To produce.

        We, in the SCA are portraying the Gentry: wellborn and well-bred people; (in England) the class below the nobility; an upper or ruling class; aristocracy; those who are not members of the nobility but are entitled to a coat-of-arms.

        Gentry did not “make” or “produce” what they used; was it not purchased? Or, if they were lucky, it could have been “gifted” to them.

        In 1252 the 'Assize of Arms' was passed which decreed that every man between the age of 15 to 60 years old were ordered to equip themselves with a bow and arrows.

        Do you think they had to make the bows and arrows themselves? I don’t.

        I, for one, am going to continue to say that Janyn, Godai, myself, or whoever “made” whatever it is I am speaking about if it so warrants it. But then, that’s just me and I can be headstrong and stubborn—even if wrong.

        LadyWanda Ostojowna
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/wandaostojowna/sets/

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2013

          Can’t speak to medieval archer equipment production but in my area (shoes), delineation of tasks was pretty clear.

          Jon/Seamus

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2013
            Gentlemen & Ladies,

            Parts were purchased all the way back in prehistoric times. Here in
            Ohio there is a long ridge of flint "Flint Ridge" that was uncovered
            by a glacier during one of the ice ages. The flint is pink and white
            and can easily be distinguished from flint mined in other parts of
            North America. At the ridge there are plenty of pits and piles of
            scrap from flint knapping. Due to the difficulty of transport, the
            projectile points were fabricated where the flint was dug out of the
            ground. These were than carried back to the home villages of the
            natives for later trade. The points were traded mostly Southward in
            exchange for complete arrows, ceramics, and carved stone pipes. The
            stone pipes have been found in the burial mounds of central and
            Southern Ohio. The stone pipes were made in Mexico from stone found
            there. Projectile points made in Ohio of Ohio flint can be found in
            archaeological sites in Mexico. This was of course all indirect
            trade. No one actually carried a canoe load of flint points from
            Ohio directly to Mexico.

            Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
          • Doug Copley