Anyone actually MAKE arrows?

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30 9:23 AM
      My kayak-camp plans fell through when my paddle-buddy hurt her back
      and as Jeff called to ask if he could borrow my woodworking shop, I
      figured, why not make those arrows I’ve been planning for months?

      I had purchased 2 dozen cedar shafts from 3-Rivers along with a half
      dozen medieval target-heads. Looking through my fletching box I found
      a package of 4” white feathers and 2 packages of 4” black feathers (my
      arms are black red and white) and my sewing box netted some red cotton
      thread (I prefer cotton over polyester). I also had some saffron flax
      thread that breaks too easily so left that alone.

      So I got to work and dug out my arrow-nock jig I had made last year,
      modified the saw to the right thickness and cut nocks into six shafts.
      Did the sanding and tied the shaft with thread, used my old
      hand-fletcher-jig to mount the arrows, tied the feathers to the shaft
      with more red cotton thread, and found some old clear nail polish my
      daughter left behind to coat the thread.

      Later I will measure and cut the shafts and mount the target points,
      then use the cresting-jig I made to paint my crest on the shaft.

      All the while, Jeff is happily making stuff for his wife’s shelfs (he
      is no carpenter so I spent a lot of time giving helpful hints) and
      while he was away measuring, I built myself a bow-string-jig and made
      my first bowstring from some Dacron I had in my sewing box. I chose a
      20# bow in case the string snapped<g>. After all, this is the first
      bowstring I ever made so am justifiably nervous about all that stress
      so close to my eyes.

      Now Maria and Liz are coming over tonight so I can repair a leak in
      Liz’s kayak and I have four bottles of that fruity-wine that women
      like and Maria is looking forward to seeing the arrows I made and….

      …and….

      ... It occurred to me then that I did not MAKE arrows, I assembled
      arrows from pre-made parts.

      Yes, I cut and shaped the nocks myself. BUT…
      I have a box full of pelican and goose feathers waiting to be
      converted into arrows and pens and instead I used store-bought
      feathers pre-cut.
      I bought that cotton thread.
      I bought the shafts pre-cut and pre-splined for my 45# longbow.
      I bought the target heads.

      Hell, I even bought the bare-bow (that I merely finished) and even
      bought the strings.

      So, can I actually claim to have “made” those arrows? Or am I a
      simple ‘assembler”?

      Opinions? Thoughts?

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30 10:01 AM
        Most of the time that I am 'making" arrows, I guess you could argue that I was merely assembling them. However, part of the skill even in this is knowing how long to make them, what weight tip you use, how many feathers you use, what size feathers, the placement of the feathers, and the overall weight of the arrow.

        I have never started with the square sticks or forged the arrow heads or made the glue from scratch. . . but they are still on my list:-)

        However, from what I have read, the master fletchers of the day did not go and mine the ore, or catch the fish for making glue, or necessarily even kill the deer for reinforcing the nocks.

        Vincenti
        Ansteorra

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

      • Oscar Van Loveren 000724 recon
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30 10:08 AM
          I did not fell trees and cut them into 2x4's. I did not dig
          a well, pump oil and make shingles, I did not excavate lime
          and kiln it into cement, I did not blow glass for the
          windows and I certainly didn't mine copper and turn it into
          electrical wiring. But I sure as heck "built" my
          barn.....with stuff from Home Depot.

          So yes, you "made" arrows.

          http://www.nni.com/
        • Janyn Fletcher
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30 3:15 PM
            I make over 100 dozen every year for friends in the SCA, loaner sets and my own bolts and arrows. I really enjoy the fruits of my labor.

            Janyn

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30 4:04 PM
              Ahh ha I actually miss read this the first time. For the last 2 years now I have completely made the award arrows from scratch. I turned down the shafts out of half inch squares and footed them by hand with 4 wing footings. This year I had some cherry logs that came from our archery site and I cut each shaft from them and turned them down by hand as well. Each arrow took me over 26 hours each in planing and finishing. I used turkey feathers that I split, sanded and cut myself. The only thing I did not use that I made was the glue.

              Janyn

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30 4:16 PM
                Excellent!

                I commend you for your art and ability!