Re: Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletching article

  • J. Hughes
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 26, 2013
      Cog,

      The use of glues was an essential part of making composite bows and crossbows with composite prods. The exact recipe for the glues differed from one region to another. They did not use the same glues in the Holy Land as they did on the Prussian frontier. They did not use the same glue for crossbows intended for use on ships as those that were expected only to see use on land. I have run across references to both hide and fish glues. But I have run into references from both Italy and Germany that the recipe for the glue was a guild trade secret. Mistress Tux has gone much further in her study of glues than I have.

      Charles O'Connor