Re: Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletching article

  • Karl W. Evoy
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 26, 2013
      All these statements are true; however, without proof that an item was in use by the persona you are depicting and the time and place you are depicting (this can include a range of times and places, for the more "general" depictions), then you can not use it and still say you are recreating or re-enacting, history.
      So logic games are pointless.
      Ancel

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 26, 2013
        I suggest we encourage Periodicity. None of our attempts at being better than we are, are either games or pointless.

        James of Odo, Fidelibus
        Lonely Tower in Calontir

        ---- "Karl W. Evoy" <kweancel@...> wrote:
        > All these statements are true; however, without proof that an item was in use by the persona you are depicting and the time and place you are depicting (this can include a range of times and places, for the more "general" depictions), then you can not use it and still say you are recreating or re-enacting, history.
        > So logic games are pointless.
        > Ancel

      • J. Hughes
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 26, 2013
          Cog,

          The use of glues was an essential part of making composite bows and crossbows with composite prods. The exact recipe for the glues differed from one region to another. They did not use the same glues in the Holy Land as they did on the Prussian frontier. They did not use the same glue for crossbows intended for use on ships as those that were expected only to see use on land. I have run across references to both hide and fish glues. But I have run into references from both Italy and Germany that the recipe for the glue was a guild trade secret. Mistress Tux has gone much further in her study of glues than I have.

          Charles O'Connor