Re: [SCA-Archery] New member

  • Meghan K Baker
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 5, 2000
      Greetings!
      I am what is to be considered a "newbie archer". I accompanied my friend
      to the archery range this past Pennsic to shoot two rounds - an hour
      later I was buying my own bow.
      I have never shot previously, but now I'm hooked! ;)
      Are there any suggestions that anyone could offer to me, or pertinent web
      pages?
      I thank you all very much for you time!

      Grainne of Inner Sea

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • AMENSEYA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 6, 2000
        Grainne of Inner Sea

        As a warranted Marshal, let me welcome you to Northshield's archery corp

        YIS ~~~~> To Flying Arrows
        Lady Ayesha
        AMENSEYA@...
      • Karen Park
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 6, 2000
          --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, Meghan K Baker wrote:

          > Are there any suggestions that anyone could offer to me, or
          pertinent web pages?

          > Grainne of Inner Sea

          Welcome, Grainne!

          Have you tried: www.pbm.com/~lindahl/archery.html ?
          It's for SCA Archery.

          En servicio,
          Constanza Marina de Uella
        • Dennis Cooley
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
            Greetings

            I have been asked by a new member, and archer, to the SCA, who is a
            collage foreign exchange student, if she can be a deputy, and to ask the
            help of this list or any others, if there is a shire and or group in her
            home land of Poland? If not she is wanting the info on how to start one?
            After attending her first archery event,, she is hooked on the Dream.!!
            I am meeting with her today to find or make her the right bow, and
            tackle. That is how serious she is.. Please if some one knows how to
            find a contact. Or a can send contact info on their archery program, or
            just a Shire there, she wishes to start archery there if there is none..
            As she will be going home this summer.

            Thanks in advance

            In service to the Dream
            unto King and Crown
            John-Paul Bowyer
            Calontir
          • AMENSEYA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
            • AMENSEYA@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
                Greetings

                As for this young lady finding out about the SCA in her home country by
                writing to the Corporate office in California or going on line and checking
                out the SCA website: www.sca.org. You may also want to get her a copy of the
                Archery Marshal's Handbook.

                Lord Donato Pulcinella

                "E lasia pur gratter dov'e la rogna!"
              • Bruce R. Gordon
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
                  Greetings
                  If by "Deputy" you mean some sort of marshal status, that would be up to
                  your Kingdom's regs. Check with your Regional or the KAM for specifics.
                  A glance at the Drachenwald homepage ( http://www.drachenwald.org/ )
                  reveals that there are no current groups in Poland; the nearest one would be
                  in Berlin, I think. I imagine that most of the people on this list could
                  provide stories about new groups starting up, at least at second hand. First
                  thing would be to get a group of like-minded people together and start
                  holding regular meetings. Contact the Drachenwald officials for any help they
                  could provide. A copy of the SCA Handbook for her would be extremely useful
                  (though I quail at the thought of trying to translate it into Polish).
                  She should be aware that archery in Drachenwald is fairly rare, because
                  most countries in Europe have a very severe attitude (by American standards)
                  about weapons control; so ranges are quite scarce, simple ownership of any
                  sort of weapon is often very difficult if not outright illegal, etc. Also,
                  she needs to be aware that the SCA is a very expensive hobby in Europe; site
                  fees alone are often 35 to 50 dollars, American (but on the other hand, they
                  are often located in genuine Mediaeval castles... <sigh>)

                  Forester Nigel FitzMaurice (Mid)

                  Dennis Cooley wrote:

                  > Greetings
                  >
                  > I have been asked by a new member, and archer, to the SCA, who is a
                  > collage foreign exchange student, if she can be a deputy, and to ask the
                  > help of this list or any others, if there is a shire and or group in her
                  > home land of Poland? If not she is wanting the info on how to start one?
                  > After attending her first archery event,, she is hooked on the Dream.!!
                  > I am meeting with her today to find or make her the right bow, and
                  > tackle. That is how serious she is.. Please if some one knows how to
                  > find a contact. Or a can send contact info on their archery program, or
                  > just a Shire there, she wishes to start archery there if there is none..
                  > As she will be going home this summer.
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance
                  >
                  > In service to the Dream
                  > unto King and Crown
                  > John-Paul Bowyer
                  > Calontir

                  Ex Tenebra, Lux

                • James W. Pratt Jr.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
                    Start with: Drachenwald at:
                    http://www.drachenwald.org/
                    http://www.drachenwald.org/officers.htm#Archery
                    http://www.drachenwald.org/map.htm
                    Then look at other archery groups:
                    http://www.archery-centre.co.uk/
                    http://www.armbrust.ieo.ch/

                    There is a page for starting a new group on the Drachenwald site but I did
                    not see a group in Poland.

                    James Cunningham
                    Hope you will be able to bring her to Lillies War.

                  • hamberg@fiber.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 5, 2001
                      > I have been asked by a new member, and archer, to the SCA, who is a
                      > collage foreign exchange student, if she can be a deputy, and to
                      > ask the help of this list or any others, if there is a shire and or
                      > group in her home land of Poland? If not she is wanting the info on
                      > how to start one? After attending her first archery event,, she is
                      > hooked on the Dream.!!

                      If she is hooked on the dream and is going back to Poland why doesn't
                      every officer in your local group have her as a Deputy-In-Training.
                      Get her trained as everything so she can be a valuable resource for
                      not only her local area but for the kingdom.

                      Michael
                    • Evian Blackthorn
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                        Curt Conrad wrote to the list:
                        >I am new to this group and seek your advise.

                        Welcome, Curt! Here goes! In response to several of your
                        questions, I don't know of anything that will lead you to
                        information about handbow archery in Germany/Austria in the
                        thirteenth through fifteenth centuries. But don't give up
                        hope. Not only are there others that might be able to help
                        you on this list, but there is another option that is
                        frequently done.

                        You develop your persona for the time and place you
                        desire. You garb yourself for that persona. You center
                        almost all your activities, except archery, around that
                        persona, at what ever level of accuracy you feel comfortable
                        with. And then you shoot archery if and when you want to do
                        so, even if it would have been unknown, or almost unknown,
                        to your persons. And ignore your detractors, which you will
                        get. But then, you will get your detractors even if you are
                        doing EVERYTHING right. They will be those that think they
                        know everything, and that everyone HAS to do it their way.

                        There are plenty of those types around. But you will also
                        find that most of the people you meet will not be like that.
                        And archers in the archery community will generally open a
                        fellow archer into their ranks gladly and quickly. These
                        statements may vary from locale to locale. But they are
                        generally true. Sorry I couldn't give you any specific
                        information to help you develop the persona you want, as a
                        Swabian Archer. But you asked the ONE question I don't know
                        the answer to.>grin<.

                        Evian Blackthorn of THE WEB
                        http://www.spider-strands.com
                        Editor, Bodkin and Bolt Magazine
                        http://www.dskonline.net/bodkin
                        APD TEST Site
                        http://users.ev1.net/~theweb/apdintro.htm
                      • richarddevere@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 20, 2001
                          Greetings and Salutations,
                          I am Richard de Vere, and I am a new citizen of the Middle
                          Kingdom. I served in the East a long time ago, and then left shortly
                          before being knighted. I recently came back to the SCA and served
                          briefly as a squire under Duke Andrew, before his untimely death. I
                          was about to give it all up and get out again, and some friends
                          talked me into staying. I have agreed to form a new House with them,
                          and work very hard to complete the goals I had originally discussed
                          with His Grace, the Duke. Some of my period interests are writing,
                          busty wenches, equestrianship, rapier fencing, heavy weapons,
                          archery, sciences, and enjoying good food and spirits! ;o) I intend
                          to become very active in the Kingdom, and look forward to exchanging
                          many posts with all of you.

                          Respectfully,
                          Richard de Vere
                          Noble by Virtue
                        • Rachel Cullen
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 2, 2006
                            Hi everyone
                            Im not sure if Im in the right place, but my name is Ebbony and I have
                            found a recent interest in archery.
                            Im want to know so much about it and where I can get the gear from,
                            how much its going to cost me and more.
                            Ive only done it under instruction and have not owned my own gear.
                            Im 15 years old and live in country SA.
                            Cant wait to buzz you all for info
                            Cheers
                            Ebbony
                          • Carolus
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 2, 2006
                              If you have an interest in Archery, this is the right place. We are
                              primarily focused on archery in the SCA which means traditional
                              archery as practiced in renaissance and middle ages Europe. Your
                              message was not clear where you live, if you could be more specific
                              we could better answer your questions.
                              Carolus

                              At 12:42 AM 12/2/2006, you wrote:

                              >Hi everyone
                              >Im not sure if Im in the right place, but my name is Ebbony and I have
                              >found a recent interest in archery.
                              >Im want to know so much about it and where I can get the gear from,
                              >how much its going to cost me and more.
                              >Ive only done it under instruction and have not owned my own gear.
                              >Im 15 years old and live in country SA.
                              >Cant wait to buzz you all for info
                              >Cheers
                              >Ebbony

                              >Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              >12/1/2006 1:12 PM

                            • Eileen Procter
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 3, 2006
                                Morning Ebbony,
                                I am assuming from you address that you are from Lochac. You should get in
                                touch with your local captain of archers. His name is Delamar and his
                                contact details are on the Lochac Archers website:
                                http://www.sca.org.au/archers where you will also find lots of useful
                                information on archery in Lochac.
                                Welcome to the light side
                                Sabine

                                Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife - Click here
                                http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_dec_meet&_m=EXT
                              • Hobbe
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 3, 2006
                                  I'm guessing Riverland SA, is Australia.
                                  That puts you in the kingdom of Lochac.
                                  http://www.sca.org.au/lochac/
                                  Most likely in the Barony of Innilgard.
                                  http://www.sca.org.au/innilgard/
                                  -Hobbe

                                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel Cullen"
                                  <thecullenclan@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi everyone
                                  > Im not sure if Im in the right place, but my name is Ebbony and I
                                  have
                                  > found a recent interest in archery.
                                  > Im want to know so much about it and where I can get the gear from,
                                  > how much its going to cost me and more.
                                  > Ive only done it under instruction and have not owned my own gear.
                                  > Im 15 years old and live in country SA.
                                  > Cant wait to buzz you all for info
                                  > Cheers
                                  > Ebbony

                                • Luigi Kapaj
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 4, 2006
                                    I have a friend interested in finding whistle arrowheads.

                                    I remember someone having one at Pennsic a few years back, believe he
                                    brought it to the range for Neko's Korean style shoot.

                                    If you could put us in touch with anyone who makes them, or this person who
                                    had one, it would be very helpful.

                                    Puppy
                                    http://www.NYCMongol.com