Re: [SCA-Archery] ???

  • Janyn Fletcher
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 18 4:25 PM
      Caley, the SCA makes very few rules that govern things like this. For safety issues there are a set of SCA rules that all of the Kingdoms use as a basis for their sets of rules. It is then up to each Kingdom to modify the rules as they see fit for safety and other issues. In Atlantia we do not separate Crossbows from Hand Bows in the Royal Rounds rankings. Most of our shoots do have separate classes for handbows and crossbows for awards but both compete against each other. I am not someone who favors exclusion in any form so the key we preach in our Kingdom is for shoot designers to try to level the playing field so a shoot is not just an accuracy shoot that a crossbow would be better at, and introduce movement, timed stations, etc that would make the shoot the same difficulty for both handbows and crossbows. The St. Sebastian's shoot I run at Pennsic each year is designed with this in mind so there is no real advantage for either group.

      In Service,

      Janyn

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 19 8:23 AM
        Calontir Archery events are set up for three disciplines, recurve, long bow and cross bow.
        The disciplines compete against like weapons, recurve against recurve, long bow against long bow.
        Shooter know who their completion is and how will they will need to shoot to be on top.
        Most of our archers will switch weapons form one event to an other to be competent in several
        weapon forms.
         Larger Archery events may have over 100 Archers taking the line.   Recurve use here has declined
        as Archers have moved to long bows as bow of chose.

        Thomas of Cologne
        Calontir Archer

        To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
        From: stalek@...
        Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 19:50:34 +0000

        IMHO, there is not a lot of difference between them. You still have to be able to aim (instinctive shooting is still aiming, you've just done it for so long that you don't realize you are still aiming), and release the arrow/bolt at the target. Granted there are some archers who shoot so well with a crossbow and have done it for so long, that if they tried to shoot a recurve or a longbow, they wouldn't know what to do ;), but there are some of us who like to shoot so much that they have to switch from a bow to a crossbow for health reasons. And, as has been said before, you are actually shooting against yourself, not against others. When tournaments are set up, they are usually set up to make it challenging for both types of archers and make it fun for both.
        Also, in some areas, there aren't enough crossbowmen to make it worthwhile to set up different tournaments. After all, if you went that route you would need to set up one tournament for a crossbowman, one for a long bow user, one for a recurve user and even one for a horse bow user. Just think of how much work you would have to go into to get even one tournament going if you did that.

        Eoin Dubh
        Company Captain of Archers
        Iron Bog