Re: [SCA-Archery] arrow rest (need for one or using a glove)

  • JonThomme De Claydon
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 18, 2013
      There are things you can mix with the wax which make it denser like repose metal working wax. But heat will always be a factor.
      JT

      On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM, John R. Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

      Since this done in the near east, where it can get rather warm, something such as resin or pitch may have been added to harden the wax.

      Jon

      Caley <caoillainn1@...> wrote:

      > Some archers in the Near East would create a hand grip by soaking a long
      > strip of cloth in melted bee's wax and then wrapping it around the grip
      > area of the bow. When it was still warm they would grasp it, where their
      > bow hand would normally be, until it cooled. Then, when they shot their
      > bow after this, their hand would always be in the same position.
      >
      > Jon

      I'm not sure this would work in the Southern regions. Would the beeswax
      melt in hot vehicles?

      Caley

      --
      In service to the dream

      Baron Jon Thomme

      Gold is for the mistress
      Silver for the maid
      R. Kipling
    • John Atkins
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 18, 2013

        I have no reference for this but it strikes me that a wax covered anything on my bow handle would make a gooey mess and cause the bow to be quite slippery.  Instead how about simply tying a short piece of leather thong around the handle such that when griped it would go between the index and middle finger.  That would serve as a reference point for the hand griping the bow and be similar in function to modern pistol style grips found on many recurve bows.

        cog

      • Jim Pickette
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 18, 2013
          Very interesting, but I have never seen it used, either modern or period.
          Any background?

          JoO

          ---- John Atkins <cogworks@...> wrote:
          > I have no reference for this but it strikes me that a wax covered anything
          > on my bow handle would make a gooey mess and cause the bow to be quite
          > slippery. Instead how about simply tying a short piece of leather thong
          > around the handle such that when griped it would go between the index and
          > middle finger. That would serve as a reference point for the hand griping
          > the bow and be similar in function to modern pistol style grips found on
          > many recurve bows.
          >

          > cog

        • John Atkins
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 18, 2013
            No background/documentation other than I've used it myself on one of my bows with no arrow rest.

            cog

            ---- John Atkins <cogworks@...> wrote:
            > I have no reference for this but it strikes me that a wax covered
            > anything on my bow handle would make a gooey mess and cause the bow to
            > be quite slippery. Instead how about simply tying a short piece of
            > leather thong around the handle such that when griped it would go
            > between the index and middle finger. That would serve as a reference
            > point for the hand griping the bow and be similar in function to
            > modern pistol style grips found on many recurve bows.
            >

            > cog

          • John Atkins
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 18, 2013
              And I have also added arrow rests on bows not constructed with them. I've used antler pieces and leather chunks. Usually I wrap them in the handle wrap and use a drop of glue to keep them from "drifting" I use.

              cog

              ---- John Atkins <cogworks@...> wrote:
              > I have no reference for this but it strikes me that a wax covered
              > anything on my bow handle would make a gooey mess and cause the bow to
              > be quite slippery. Instead how about simply tying a short piece of
              > leather thong around the handle such that when griped it would go
              > between the index and middle finger. That would serve as a reference
              > point for the hand griping the bow and be similar in function to
              > modern pistol style grips found on many recurve bows.
              >

              > cog

            • Caley
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 19, 2013
                > Caley, probably the wax would soften, but the cloth would hold the
                shape
                > if not bumped or squeezed. Of course it's better not to keep bows in a
                > hot vehicle anyway, though sometimes unavoidable. I imagine a different
                > kind or mix of wax types might hold up to a bit higher temperatures.
                >
                > Eirik

                Many people, myself included, leave for events straight after work,
                which means the vehicle needs to be loaded that morning or the evening
                before. Normally I leave my truck unlocked with the windows down in
                warm/hot weather, but if it's full of SCA stuff, it's locked tight,
                windows up to prevent theft.

                Caley