Period arrow rest

  • John Atkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2013

      Just caught up with the comment about archers using a glove on the bow hand.  I seem to recall Kay’s book about shooting with Thumb Rings states that there was a ring for the thumb of the bow hand that served as an arrow rest.  I recall that there were pictures of such ring included.  But then “horse bow” distance shooters also used a device, the name of which is currently escaping me but I believe there were pictures of it here, that was worn on the bow arm and allowed the archer to over draw the arrow such that the tip was past the bow thereby resting on this device.  So for me there are two issues addressed here.  1 – use of an arrow rest or something acting as an arrow rest.  2 – Faint of heart incompetents?  Hardly when considering those cultures that used the “horse bow”.

      Just saying.  I’ll look up the reference to the bow hand thumb ring and post pictures.

      cog