Fall SSAC

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 16, 2013
      The poll has shown that the SSAC Fall competition will be the Lucky Target.

      Jon
    • Chris Ivins
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 17, 2013
        Huzzah! I've been looking forward to being able to shoot this one!
        (I'm already working on a score sheet for our local group to use)

        - Iurii

        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 17, 2013
          Could you post the score here when it is complete so that others could use it as well.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 17, 2013
          Sir Jon, you mean the score sheet, not the score, right?  ;-)

          It's a work in progress, I'm not a very good designer or anything even close. Because of the types of scoring columns recommended for the shoot, I wasn't able to have all of the boxes to write in the Branch, Bow division, Rank in division, or Youth categories, but i left room to the side of each score area to write in that information for each shooter. I hope this is moderately acceptable, and if someone has done something better, I'll gladly use it instead.

          - In Service,

          HL Iurii Levchenich, Junior TAM
          Deputy to the Honorable Lady Johanna Trewpeny, Adiantum Archery Marshal
          Arcuarius to Gawin of Kevelioc

          Could you post the score here when it is complete so that others could use it as well.

          Jon

          Huzzah! I've been looking forward to being able to shoot this one!
          (I'm already working on a score sheet for our local group to use)

          - Iurii

          The poll has shown that the SSAC Fall competition will be the Lucky Target.

          Jon

        • John R. Edgerton

            Message 6 of 23 , Sep 20, 2013
              Here are the rules for the Fall Society Seasonal Archery Competition and the general rules for the SSAC.  Please forward them to anyone that may be interested.
              Thank you

              Jon
              *****************************

              Rules for SSAC - Lucky Target

              The Scorekeeper last approved scores for this shoot on: unknown

              Shoot Begins: Tuesday, October 1, 2013
              Shoot Ends: Tuesday, December 31, 2013
              Scores must be Submitted by: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 and within 7 days of being shot.

              Rules:
              This competition seems to have begun in the Netherlands in the 1400’s. There is a period illustration showing part of a circular target where there are numerical values in arcs of the circle. And there is mention of square targets with a series of smaller squares of different values.

              Target:
              The target face is 20 inches on a side and the small squares are 4 inches square. There are twenty-five squares in total. The target is placed with one corner pointing upward, as per the drawing below. The numbers are placed as shown in the drawing and should be large enough to be read at twenty yards. The lines should also be visible but no wider than 1/4 inch.

              Ranges:
              The Adult distance is 20 yards.
              Youth division is 10 yards.

              Running the Shoot:
              The number of ends is two, each of six arrows.

              Scoring:
              The scoring is value of the box hit. Lines count as the higher score. A square may only be hit once for score. Repeated hits to the same square by the same archer to do not count for additional score. The maximum score per end is 135, for a maximum total of 270 points. The score sheets should provide space for each Arrow's score (1-6) in each End (A, B) in a vertical column for ease in totaling. There should be a total for each end and a grand total.

              Please record the scores for each End starting with the highest scoring arrow to the lowest, with zeros entered for repeats or misses for any remaining arrows.

              This shoot was suggested by:
              Sir Jon

              ***************

              SSAC General Rules

              These General Rules apply to all SSAC component shoots. The various component shoots will have their own rules and target definitions within this framework.
              There are two categories: Open and Period. Each category has two divisions: Handbow and Crossbow. There will be a Youth division as well. The ranges, targets, etc. would be adjusted accordingly for the Youth Division within each shoot. The definition of `Youth` will follow those of the Youth Division of the IKAC, however due to the timeframe of each shoot there will only be a single overall Youth Division.
              The equipment rules for the Open and Period divisions would follow those of the IKAC for Handbow and Crossbow with the exception of the Period Crossbow Division which is defined as the following. To be classify as a Period Crossbow all the following conditions must be met: 1) The stock must be made of wood. 2) It may not have a rifle-style butt. 3) It may not have a modern style lock (period forms of self-resetting mechanisms are fine, however) or a modern style trigger. 4) It may not have modern style sights, but may have a period style rear sight only (no front sight allowed).
              Questions regarding the competition should be addressed to the originator of the competition, whose contact information will be included in the rules, and to Sir Jon to be ensure the clarifications are published to the SCA-Archery group.The rules for each of the SSAC shall be determined by the originator of the competition, but should fall within the guildlines of the General Rules and the guidance of the SCA-Archery group.
              The rules for the Crossbow Divisions may vary from the rules for the Handbow divisions. However, the rules for the Open and Period categories will remain the same.
              Scores will be submitted to the SCA Scores Site for tabulation within one week of being shot. All information required by each competition must be included or the scores may be considered void, this includes; Event Name and Host, Event Date, Marshal, as well as the Archers Home Group, Mundane, and Scadian names. For scores submitted to the Youth Division, it must include the age of the archer.
              The winners of each division will be determined only by the highest score of each archer in the division. There will be no `three score average` for the SSAC. No winning kingdoms, only friendly competition among like minded archers. Though kingdoms are encouraged to recognize their archers approprately.

            • David Edwards
              Message 7 of 23 , Nov 22, 2013

                Jon,

                I just spent 15 minutes trying to figure out where to post SSAC scores and I’m damned if I can find it. The link you provide leads to a page with a bunch of discussion about the shoot on it but I don’t find any place to enter scores. What am I missing?

                Message 8 of 23 , Nov 22, 2013
                  David,

                  To submit scores you need to have a marshal account and logged on.  If you don't have an account you need to contact your Kingdom's Archery Marshal and request one, if you are in one of the few Kingdoms not using the scores site let me know and I can create an account for you.

                  Jonathas

                  Message 9 of 23 , Nov 22, 2013
                    Jon, I had an account,for the scores site, but I do not remember my login or password  How can I find out what they were?

                    Lord Eadric of Grenefelda
                    Constellation Regional Archery Marshal
                    Order of the Dragon's Barb, AoA
                    Order of the Golden Tower, Orion's Belt, Award of the Nova, Yeoman
                     Pandus planto populus mico.
                    (Archers make people quiver.)

                      Message 11 of 23 , Nov 22, 2013

                        I am the Baronial Archery Captain for Gyldenholt, in Caid. I don’t think Caid uses the scores site.

                          Message 13 of 23 , Nov 22, 2013
                            Wow, you did find one of the few Kingdoms not using it. Though Caid is using it for your Thrown Weapons scores.

                            Can you send me your information off list and I will setup an account for you.

                            Jonathas

                            On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM, David Edwards <davidedw@...> wrote:

                            I am the Baronial Archery Captain for Gyldenholt, in Caid. I don’t think Caid uses the scores site.

                            Here are the rules for the Fall Society Seasonal Archery Competition and the general rules for the SSAC.  Please forward them to anyone that may be interested.

                            Thank you

                            Jon

                            *****************************

                          • JonThomme De Claydon
                            Message 14 of 23 , Nov 22, 2013
                              I am new to posting scores here. I know I don't have a log in. I am sure my Captain "Robin" does not either. I wonder if Christoph has access? This could be one reason Caid is not represented here.
                              JT

                              --
                              In service to the dream

                              Baron Jon Thomme

                              Gold is for the mistress
                              Silver for the maid
                              R. Kipling
                            • John Edgerton
                              Message 15 of 23 , Sep 16, 2014
                                The voting for the Fall Society Seasonal Archery Competition begins today. The voting will be conducted on Yahoo's SCA-Archery as usual and will now include Facebook's SCA Target Archery and Quivers and Quarrels. This is being done to include more archers in the voting. However, please only vote once. Do not vote multiple times.

                                The dates for the various seasons were discussed and it was decided to move all the seasons one month in order to relate more to the actual weather. So, the Fall season will only be two months long. It will start October 1 and end November 30. Winter season will start December 1 instead of December 31. The new seasons will include rules specific to type of competition shot for each season.

                                For the short Fall season the competitions will be repeats that have been shot before. For descriptions of the competitions, please go to and read the "Repeat Proposals" rules:

                                The repeat proposals are: Ferrara Ring. Five Pillars. Pass Through. Roundel Sextet. Triangle. Wand.

                                Please read the description of each of the competitions before voting. If there is not a clear winner in the voting, there will be a run-off vote. The voting will end September 23.

                                The Poll for Yahoo can be found at:

                              • Arion the Wanderer
                                Message 16 of 23 , Sep 16, 2014
                                  The Repeat Proposal rules are not there.

                                  Message 17 of 23 , Sep 17, 2014
                                    I got in through the normal link to the SCA-Scores site without any problem.

                                    Message 18 of 23 , Sep 22, 2014
                                      The current standings as of 12:43 PDT on September 22, have been taken from SCA Archery Yahoo, Quivers and Quarrels and SCA target archery on Facebook, are:

                                      Triangle               13
                                      Wand                   10
                                      Ferrara Ring        10
                                      Passthrough          3
                                      Roundel Sextet      2
                                      Five Pillars              1
                                    • John Edgerton

                                          Message 21 of 23 , Sep 22, 2014
                                            Sept 23, around midnight.

                                            Jon
                                          • James Koch
                                            Message 22 of 23 , Sep 22, 2014
                                              John Et Al,

                                              What was the name of the target/shoot consisting of a large square
                                              divided like tic-tac-toe into nine smaller squares numbered 1 through
                                              9? We have been shooting that lately just for fun.

                                              Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
                                            • JonThomme De Claydon
                                              Message 23 of 23 , Sep 22, 2014
                                                Lucky target.

                                                On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 3:24 PM, James Koch alchem@... [SCA-Archery] <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                John Et Al,

                                                What was the name of the target/shoot consisting of a large square
                                                divided like tic-tac-toe into nine smaller squares numbered 1 through
                                                9? We have been shooting that lately just for fun.

                                                Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                                                --
                                                In service to the dream

                                                Baron Jon Thomme