Re: [SCA-Archery] MOL arrow rest

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2013
      The photos are at:

      From: John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      To: "SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com" <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 9:56 AM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] MOL arrow rest

      In my opinion the photo of the side view of the item makes it very unlikely that it was used as an arrow rest.  On the bottom of the item is a 90 degree projection about a cm deep that would keep the item from resting flat on the grip of the bow. This would place the bottom of the circular depression on the top, where an arrow would rest,  about 3 cm from the side of the bow.

      If it really was part of a bow, it appears more likely that it would have been attached to the end of a limb, because the projection looks like it is meant be seated on the end of something while the back of it lays flat against the side of something. However, if it was meant to be a nock reinforcement on the end of the bow limb, the circular depression does not look like it would secure a string while shooting.

      I do not think that higher res photos are needed.

      The Museum of London calls it a "bow mount" not an arrow rest or a bow rest. Which I believe means that it was just something that was attached to a bow.