period style bracer photo?

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 16, 2013
      I have a short article on period style bracers for "Quivers and Quarrels" and I was not able to find a public domain photo of any that were an actual period style bracer.  Is anyone that has a period style bracer willing to take a photo of it to be used in the article for the magazine?

      One thing the period bracers seem to have in common is that they use buckled straps to hold them in place, not lacing, or metal hooks. The laced on style is more a modern traditional style of fastening. The straps are usually single, double or “Y” shaped.

      Thank you for any help you can give

      Jon
    • richard johnson
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 16, 2013
        Now I'd like to know more about the buckle system.
        Being uneducated in that area, I would have thought the opposite...
        buckles are modern, laces old.
        Any chance you can upload a copy?
        Or give some basics?

        I really hate all those laces I've been using.

        --
        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 16, 2013
          Would these do?

          Gryffyd

          To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 16, 2013
            There are some excellent surviving examples of this from the Mary Rose. While I doubt that those images would be usable for the magazine , falling under copyright, I know a few leatherworkers (myself included) who have copied the pattern for use. I'll ask if anyone would like to submit a photo.

            Aengus O'Nolan

            --
            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

          • John Edgerton
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 16, 2013
              Go to the files section:

              And click on Bracers.Doc

              Jon

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 16, 2013
                The photo file with the 14 items has photos that are not public domain and can not be used in a SCA publication.

                Jon

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 16, 2013
                  Thank you

                  Jon

                  --
                  Rick Johnson
                  http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                • Carolus
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 16, 2013
                    I don't have the reference at hind right now but i believe there was a
                    large buckle manufacturing "industry" in York around the 11th century.
                    Yes, buckles age quite period. Surprised me at the time as I was one of
                    those who "knew" buckles were OOP and belts were fastened with a ring
                    and knot. Yep, another case "everyone knows".
                    Carolus
                    On 9/16/2013 11:47 AM, richard johnson wrote:
                    > Now I'd like to know more about the buckle system.
                    > Being uneducated in that area, I would have thought the opposite...
                    > buckles are modern, laces old.
                    > Any chance you can upload a copy?
                    > Or give some basics?
                    >
                    > I really hate all those laces I've been using.
                    >
                    > On 9/16/13, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
                    >> I have a short article on period style bracers for "Quivers and Quarrels"
                    >> and I was not able to find a public domain photo of any that were an actual
                    >> period style bracer. Is anyone that has a period style bracer willing to
                    >> take a photo of it to be used in the article for the magazine?
                    >>
                    >> One thing the period bracers seem to have in common is that
                    >> they use buckled straps to hold them in place, not lacing, or metal hooks.
                    >> The
                    >> laced on style is more a modern traditional style of fastening. The straps
                    >> are
                    >> usually single, double or “Y” shaped.
                    >>
                    >> Thank you for any help you can give
                    >>
                    >> Jon

                  • Jim Pickette
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 16, 2013
                      Merovignian Franks used very nice belt buckles, 400 - 800 a.d.

                      Can you be more specific?

                      JoO

                      ---- richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:
                      > Now I'd like to know more about the buckle system.
                      > Being uneducated in that area, I would have thought the opposite...
                      > buckles are modern, laces old.
                      > Any chance you can upload a copy?
                      > Or give some basics?
                      >
                      > I really hate all those laces I've been using.
                      >
                      > On 9/16/13, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
                      > > I have a short article on period style bracers for "Quivers and Quarrels"
                      > > and I was not able to find a public domain photo of any that were an actual
                      > > period style bracer.  Is anyone that has a period style bracer willing to
                      > > take a photo of it to be used in the article for the magazine?
                      > >
                      > > One thing the period bracers seem to have in common is that
                      > > they use buckled straps to hold them in place, not lacing, or metal hooks.
                      > > The
                      > > laced on style is more a modern traditional style of fastening. The straps
                      > > are
                      > > usually single, double or “Y” shaped.
                      > >
                      > > Thank you for any help you can give
                      > >
                      > > Jon
                      >

                      > --
                      > Rick Johnson
                      > http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                    • Taslen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 17, 2013

                        I have one that was patterned off ones found on the Mary Rose it's nothing fancy.

                        Gaelen

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 17, 2013
                          Gaelen

                          Could you send me a photo.

                          Thank you.

                          Jon

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 18, 2013
                          • 1 Attachment
                          • 17 KB
                          Jon;

                          Here is a picture of one from the British Museum website:

                          Robert the Tall

                          Jon I have one that was patterned off ones found on the Mary Rose it's nothing fancy. Gaelen

                          Message 13 of 13 , Sep 18, 2013
                            Has anyone made a replica period bracer that would send me a photo of it to use in Quivers and Quarrels? You will be given credit for bracer in the article.

                            Thank you

                            Jon

                            "John R. Edgerton" <sirjon1@...> wrote:

                            Thank you. I have seen that one. I need something that shows both the bracer and its method of strapping.

                            Jon