Re: [SCA-Archery] arrow rest photo? [1 Attachment]

  • Chris Ivins
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 14, 2013
      Thank you for posting this, including the attachment, and it may very well be just ornamentation, I do know enough to say that I don't know if it is ornamental, or if it was used as a rest, or for some other purpose.  ;-)

      I read the full discussion on the Paleoplanet page, too. I'm glad I'm not a member of the group, though, going by their feelings about shooting with a glove on the bow hand,

      "But then I frown upon those who wear a glove on their bow hand to shoot wooden arrows. Met a bloke once at a shoot who was wearing a garment cutter's maille glove on his hand, he said it was the rule in his club. A club for faint-hearted incompetents, perhaps?"

      For me it is fun (serious fun), and I take my equipment seriously, but I wear a glove for several reasons when I shoot my recurve, and will do so when I get my Hungarian horse bow and start shooting period. Of course, I have just started a whole new discussion/can of worms, hopefully not, though.

      - Iurii

      From: sirjon1@...
      Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 11:17:13 -0700
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] arrow rest photo? [1 Attachment]

      [Attachment(s) from John Edgerton included below]
      Taillear started a thread on Paleoplanet about the arrow rest.  And someone else posted a photo. It is the item I had seen before in a clearer photo.  The original from Paleoplanet was quite dark, so I adjusted it. It is still not a great view of the item. If anyone else has better photos, please post them.

      I hope the attachment comes through.

      Jon

    • John R. Edgerton

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 14, 2013
          Just quoting Yeomanbowmn from the paleoplanet thread.

          Gryffyd

          CC: sca-archery@yahoogroups.com
          From: sirjon1@...
          Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 21:30:25 -0700
          Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] arrow rest photo?

          Where was the label "bow rest"?

          Jon

          Joe Klovance <jklovanc@...> wrote:

          f that is the photo I would call that very slim evidence of period arrow rests. Here is the link to the discussion on Paleoplanet
          http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/57206/Re-Arrow-Rest-on-English-Longbows?page=-1#.UjSzi8a1HwY

          I agree with one quote; 'Does it not remind you of the archaeological explanation of a straightening stick with a hole in it as a "baton de commandement"?'
          It is not even labeled as "arrow rest" but "bow rest" and there seems to be no explanation. Without a date we can not even say if it is in period.

          From my view the top seems to be more carved to depict the animal's head rather that to effectively hold an arrow. To me that looks more like the top section of a staff with finger grooves below the decorative head and nothing to do with bows.

          Gryffyd
        • John R. Edgerton

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 15, 2013
              Iurii,
              Rod, who posted the remark you quoted, is actually a very kind
              individual. He's also a very knowladgable, dyed-in-the-wool, English
              longbowman who holds steadfast to the traditional way of doing things.
              Thus, his comment regarding a glove.
              Others on PaleoPlanet make and shoot very heavy longbows. Their gear,
              their knowledge, and their shooting style is such that a glove is not
              needed. These individuals may have little patience with people who
              feel that one is necessary.
              PaleoPlanet is actually the best source I know of for wood bow making
              and shooting, bar none. While some members simply make bows and use
              them, other PP participants research historical practices and
              artifacts quite thoroughly and are very skilled in ancient archery.

              Taillear

              On 9/14/13, Chris Ivins <yuriilev@...> wrote:
              > Thank you for posting this, including the attachment, and it may very well
              > be just ornamentation, I do know enough to say that I don't know if it is
              > ornamental, or if it was used as a rest, or for some other purpose. ;-)
              >
              > I read the full discussion on the Paleoplanet page, too. I'm glad I'm not a
              > member of the group, though, going by their feelings about shooting with a
              > glove on the bow hand,
              >
              > "But then I frown upon those who wear a glove on their bow hand to shoot
              > wooden arrows. Met a bloke once at a shoot who was wearing a garment
              > cutter's maille glove on his hand, he said it was the rule in his
              > club.A club for faint-hearted incompetents, perhaps?"
              >
              > For me it is fun (serious fun), and I take my equipment seriously, but I
              > wear a glove for several reasons when I shoot my recurve, and will do so
              > when I get my Hungarian horse bow and start shooting period. Of course, I
              > have just started a whole new discussion/can of worms, hopefully not,
              > though.
              >

              > - Iurii

            • Chris Ivins
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 15, 2013
                Taillear,

                Thank you for the explanation, I can understand better their comments after your explanation. I do feel that describing someone that does shoot with a glove as being a "faint-hearted incompetent" is being a bit judgmental, though. But, that's just my own opinion, which may vary with mileage and use. Even if I do not agree with another person (or persons') beliefs or opinions, I will still respect them and try to see things from that view, because it often gives me new insights into things I have learned.

                - Respectfully,
                                     Iurii

                Rod, who posted the remark you quoted, is actually a very kind
                individual. He's also a very knowladgable, dyed-in-the-wool, English
                longbowman who holds steadfast to the traditional way of doing things.
                Thus, his comment regarding a glove.
                Others on PaleoPlanet make and shoot very heavy longbows. Their gear,
                their knowledge, and their shooting style is such that a glove is not
                needed. These individuals may have little patience with people who
                feel that one is necessary.
                PaleoPlanet is actually the best source I know of for wood bow making
                and shooting, bar none. While some members simply make bows and use
                them, other PP participants research historical practices and
                artifacts quite thoroughly and are very skilled in ancient archery.

                Taillear

                On 9/14/13, Chris Ivins <yuriilev@...> wrote:
                > Thank you for posting this, including the attachment, and it may very well
                > be just ornamentation, I do know enough to say that I don't know if it is
                > ornamental, or if it was used as a rest, or for some other purpose.  ;-)
                >
                > I read the full discussion on the Paleoplanet page, too. I'm glad I'm not a
                > member of the group, though, going by their feelings about shooting with a
                > glove on the bow hand,
                >
                > "But then I frown upon those who wear a glove on their bow hand to shoot
                > wooden arrows. Met a bloke once at a shoot who was wearing a garment
                > cutter's maille glove on his hand, he said it was the rule in his
                > club.A club for faint-hearted incompetents, perhaps?"
                >
                > For me it is fun (serious fun), and I take my equipment seriously, but I
                > wear a glove for several reasons when I shoot my recurve, and will do so
                > when I get my Hungarian horse bow and start shooting period. Of course, I
                > have just started a whole new discussion/can of worms, hopefully not,
                > though.
                >

                > - Iurii

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

              • Guy Taylor
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 15, 2013

                  --
                  The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
                  Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 15, 2013
                    Apologies to the list for the blank message.
                    Twitchy fingers tonight that can't tell the difference between various
                    buttons in the email program.

                    Taillear

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 16, 2013
                      Yahoo is still doing it's "best" again to help with "timely" postings, I posted my reply below at almost 2pm on Sunday, and it just showed up in my email inbox at 1:38am Monday, that means it only took a little less than 12 hours.

                      - Iurii

                      Thank you for the explanation, I can understand better their comments after your explanation. I do feel that describing someone that does shoot with a glove as being a "faint-hearted incompetent" is being a bit judgmental, though. But, that's just my own opinion, which may vary with mileage and use. Even if I do not agree with another person (or persons') beliefs or opinions, I will still respect them and try to see things from that view, because it often gives me new insights into things I have learned.

                      - Respectfully,
                                           Iurii

                      Rod, who posted the remark you quoted, is actually a very kind
                      individual. He's also a very knowladgable, dyed-in-the-wool, English
                      longbowman who holds steadfast to the traditional way of doing things.
                      Thus, his comment regarding a glove.
                      Others on PaleoPlanet make and shoot very heavy longbows. Their gear,
                      their knowledge, and their shooting style is such that a glove is not
                      needed. These individuals may have little patience with people who
                      feel that one is necessary.
                      PaleoPlanet is actually the best source I know of for wood bow making
                      and shooting, bar none. While some members simply make bows and use
                      them, other PP participants research historical practices and
                      artifacts quite thoroughly and are very skilled in ancient archery.

                      Taillear

                      On 9/14/13, Chris Ivins <yuriilev@...> wrote:
                      > Thank you for posting this, including the attachment, and it may very well
                      > be just ornamentation, I do know enough to say that I don't know if it is
                      > ornamental, or if it was used as a rest, or for some other purpose.  ;-)
                      >
                      > I read the full discussion on the Paleoplanet page, too. I'm glad I'm not a
                      > member of the group, though, going by their feelings about shooting with a
                      > glove on the bow hand,
                      >
                      > "But then I frown upon those who wear a glove on their bow hand to shoot
                      > wooden arrows. Met a bloke once at a shoot who was wearing a garment
                      > cutter's maille glove on his hand, he said it was the rule in his
                      > club.A club for faint-hearted incompetents, perhaps?"
                      >
                      > For me it is fun (serious fun), and I take my equipment seriously, but I
                      > wear a glove for several reasons when I shoot my recurve, and will do so
                      > when I get my Hungarian horse bow and start shooting period. Of course, I
                      > have just started a whole new discussion/can of worms, hopefully not,
                      > though.
                      >

                      > - Iurii

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    • Karl W. Evoy
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 16, 2013
                        Indeed; this discussion is getting tangled. Half theposts are coming to me in reverse order.
                        Is anyone else having this issue?
                        Ancel

> [...]

                        > ornamental, or if it was used as a rest, or for some other purpose.  ;-)
                        >
                        > I read the full discussion on the Paleoplanet page, too. I'm glad I'm not a
                        > member of the group, though, going by their feelings about shooting with a
                        > glove on the bow hand,
                        >
                        > "But then I frown upon those who wear a glove on their bow hand to shoot
                        > wooden arrows. Met a bloke once at a shoot who was wearing a garment
                        > cutter's maille glove on his hand, he said it was the rule in his
                        > club.A club for faint-hearted incompetents, perhaps?"
                        >
                        > For me it is fun (serious fun), and I take my equipment seriously, but I
                        > wear a glove for several reasons when I shoot my recurve, and will do so
                        > when I get my Hungarian horse bow and start shooting period. Of course, I
                        > have just started a whole new discussion/can of worms, hopefully not,

                      • John Edgerton
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 16, 2013
                          For reasons known only to Yahoo, some, but not all posts have been delayed.

                          Jon