RE: Re: [SCA-Archery] RE: Arrow shelf

  • brotherjohn66
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 13, 2013

       Let me make sure I understand this: you would not use as reliable evidence ACTUAL, surviving artifacts, but you would use one, undated, POSSIBLE arrow rest? Why is one thing reliable and DOZENS of other things unreliable?

      John Wayland

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, <sca-archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I've looked at a number of images of Mary Rose bows and I don't recall
      any of them having handgrips of any kind. Being submerged for so long
      it would be likely these would have been lost and thus any attached
      rests with them. As was stated absence of evidence is not evidence of
      absence and I wouldn't use this as reliable evidence in any case.
      Carolus
    • Guy Taylor
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 15, 2013
        Klancey, I really don't want to start an argument with you but don't
        you think this is just a slightly silly response to all this?
        a. No one is saying you can't use an arrow rest on your bow... no one!
        b. If you want to wear a glove or some other sort of hand protection
        then do so. Who has said you can't?
        c. If your arrows are such that you fear getting feathers poked into
        your skin then you need better or different arrows... period.

        If an SCA archer wants to participate in "period" archery then there
        are certain equipment standards to adhere to. The leaders of SCA
        archery have determined those standards. If you don't like them you
        don't have to follow them, you just can't register in the period class
        if you choose not to follow those standards.

        This all seems pretty straightforward to me. I really don't see why so
        many people are getting their tights in a bunch over it.

        Taillear

        --
        The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
        Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.