Documentation of 'arrow rests'

  • ater_seraph
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2013
      Greetings,

      While I find this topic interesting to no end, I would like to bring up that one item found out of context, which cannot/or has not been accurately dated, is at best, a dubious and spurious rush to claim it as 'proof' or even maybe it was used in our period. As an example, no item like this was found on the Mary Rose, which had chests full of longbows, some sank being strung still from use. I cannot help but think, that if such an item is indeed an 'arrow rest', that it would have been found here, if it was used in our period. Unfortunately, it seems that such a lack of evidence of a an item, in the SCA gets used as a justification. I, at least, err on the side of discretion. I would like to encourage other 'period' archers, to do the same. Salaam alaykum. - Davyd
    • richard johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2013
        a good point, however lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.

        The Mary Rose was an army and so expected to be standard in issue.

        I am only suggesting that the occasional individual archer thought it
        up and used it, thus the added arrow-rest was not common or may not
        even have been even popular, but did exist.

        --
        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2013
          However, we still do not when it was made and used. Nor do we know for sure that it was used as an arrow rest. That it could have been used as one, does not prove that it was used for that purpose.
          Photos and documentation is still needed.

          Jon

          richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

          >a good point, however lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.
          >
          >The Mary Rose was an army and so expected to be standard in issue.
          >
          >I am only suggesting that the occasional individual archer thought it
          >up and used it, thus the added arrow-rest was not common or may not
          >even have been even popular, but did exist.
          >
          >On 9/13/13, ater_seraph@... <ater_seraph@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> Greetings,
          >>

          >> While I find this topic interesting to no end, I would like to bring up that
          >> one item found out of context, which cannot/or has not been accurately
          >> dated, is at best, a dubious and spurious rush to claim it as 'proof' or
          >> even maybe it was used in our period. As an example, no item like this was
          >> found on the Mary Rose, which had chests full of longbows, some sank being
          >> strung still from use. I cannot help but think, that if such an item is
          >> indeed an 'arrow rest', that it would have been found here, if it was used
          >> in our period. Unfortunately, it seems that such a lack of evidence of a an
          >> item, in the SCA gets used as a justification. I, at least, err on the side
          >> of discretion. I would like to encourage other 'period' archers, to do the
          >> same. Salaam alaykum. - Davyd
          >>

          >--
          >Rick Johnson
          >http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
          >"Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined
          >security will soon find that they have neither."

        • Jim Pickette
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2013
            Not every persona is military. Some of us are country folk from 1400 years ago. We just liked to hunt our meat.
            James of Odo, Fidelibus