Re: [SCA-Archery] RE: Arrow shelf

  • James of the Lake
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 13, 2013
      The fixed rest also supplies a more consistent shot-to-shot location for the arrow to pass by the bow than shooting off the hand. Every bit helps for consistency!

      James

      On Sep 13, 2013, at 8:25 AM, richard johnson wrote:

      > True.
      > You are still shooting around the bow so the archer's Paradox remains.
      > The shelf is simply saving wear&tear on your hand.
      >
      >>> As for a bound-on arrow rest, I imagine it would probably save wear and tear on the back of your hand, but I don't think it would cut down or eliminate the archer's paradox,
      >
      > On 9/13/13, brotherjohn66@... <brotherjohn66@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> I don't use a stringer, but not because of authenticity concerns, I just
      >> haven't found the need for one yet. But they are definitely the safest way
      >> to string a bow, so ....
      >>

      >> As for a bound-on arrow rest, I imagine it would probably save wear and tear
      >> on the back of your hand, but I don't think it would cut down or eliminate
      >> the archer's paradox, so, since they are apparently document-able, I have no
      >> problems with them. Just my 2 cents.
      >>

      >> John Wayland
    • Guy Taylor
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 15, 2013
        Klancey, I really don't want to start an argument with you but don't
        you think this is just a slightly silly response to all this?
        a. No one is saying you can't use an arrow rest on your bow... no one!
        b. If you want to wear a glove or some other sort of hand protection
        then do so. Who has said you can't?
        c. If your arrows are such that you fear getting feathers poked into
        your skin then you need better or different arrows... period.

        If an SCA archer wants to participate in "period" archery then there
        are certain equipment standards to adhere to. The leaders of SCA
        archery have determined those standards. If you don't like them you
        don't have to follow them, you just can't register in the period class
        if you choose not to follow those standards.

        This all seems pretty straightforward to me. I really don't see why so
        many people are getting their tights in a bunch over it.

        Taillear

        --
        The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
        Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.