Re: RE: [SCA-Archery] RE: Arrow shelf

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 13, 2013
      Which was my original point long ago.
      Cut-out arrow shelfs are a modern invention. Plus a waste of good wood.
      BUT...
      It didn't take a modern genius to figure out that if he carved a piece
      of bone or wood and lashed it to the stave, he's have an arrow rest.

      It just took people some time to find documentation for the thought.
      Now that they had an idea of what to look for<g>.

      Now.. what about bow stringers?
      I sold my 57# recurve (bought a new kayak) because I simply could not
      string the thing.
      On my longbows... I made a leather-&-cloth pad about 4" across which I
      toss on the ground.
      I set my longbow on that pad so I don't have the bow digging into the
      ground every time i string it.
      THEN, I made a pouch that fit over the upper limb-tip. Attached a
      strap to that pouch and when I want to string or unstring my longbow,
      I toss the pad on the ground, slide the upper loop over the upper limb
      and string the lower tip and set that tip onto the pad.
      Then set the pouch over the upper tip, slip my hand through the strap
      and pull down with one hand as i slide the string loop up to the
      string-notch.

      It is MUCH easier and safer than setting the bow into wet or rough
      ground, pulling to bend the bow and having to hold it while looping
      the string over the upper tip.

      True, I know of no evidence that was done but, like the arrow shelf
      recently mentioned, I would imagine that such a simple idea was
      invented by some thoughtful bowman with time on his hand.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 15, 2013
        Klancey, I really don't want to start an argument with you but don't
        you think this is just a slightly silly response to all this?
        a. No one is saying you can't use an arrow rest on your bow... no one!
        b. If you want to wear a glove or some other sort of hand protection
        then do so. Who has said you can't?
        c. If your arrows are such that you fear getting feathers poked into
        your skin then you need better or different arrows... period.

        If an SCA archer wants to participate in "period" archery then there
        are certain equipment standards to adhere to. The leaders of SCA
        archery have determined those standards. If you don't like them you
        don't have to follow them, you just can't register in the period class
        if you choose not to follow those standards.

        This all seems pretty straightforward to me. I really don't see why so
        many people are getting their tights in a bunch over it.

        Taillear

        --
        The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
        Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.