Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Period Long bow

  • Chris Ivins
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 11, 2013
      John,

      Thanks for the information, I was about to contact you and/or David to find out where you got your longbows! I Was describing the longbow details from the linked listing to Lady Johanna, and got to the point about it having a shelf (which I overlooked the first time), and we both said, "Wait, it has a shelf, that can't be shot in the 'period' category!"

      She then said to ask you or David where you got your longbows.

      - Iurii

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 12, 2013
        I bought an excellent Period longbow from this guy about months ago. I
        love it. He makes them by hand charges a fraction of the usual price. I
        can't recommend him highly enough:

        http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.net/

        Caley
      • Karl W. Evoy
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 12, 2013
          I could handle the 40-45# one; hope they keep this item around, as the budget this year is shot.
          Ancel

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 13, 2013
            If you want a 'Period' longbow, then as has been said before, this bow will not be correct, it has a notched arrow shelf/rest, so it cannot be used in the period bow division.

            - Iurii

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 13, 2013

              How are his period bamboo arrows? I was thinking they may make a great tourney prize. At least get archers a chance at period arrows.
              Cat

            • richard johnson
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 13, 2013
                There are a lot of good people out there that make everything from
                autherntic Yew longbows for $1200 in England to people who do so in
                America.

                IF you are on a budget, try GIBow
                http://www.gibow.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=112_113
                For $50 or so (they often run half-price specials) you get a bare-bow
                that you can shoot immediatly or sand and stain and adjust as you will
                until it looks period.

                I own three of these in 35# & 45# and a short-bow in 35#.

                --
                Rick Johnson
                http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 13, 2013
                  Awesome! Thanks for the link. This is what I have been searching for. I want to make my own bow, and this takes the hard part out of it.

                  --
                  Rick Johnson
                  http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com