Re: [SCA-Archery] Period Long bow

  • Chris Ivins
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 11, 2013
      Yeah, that was my lament, too. I just called them and asked if it was possible to get one in 30-35#, or if they might be available in that poundage in the future and the person I spoke to said no.
      Guess I might have to start working out my arms a bit, because this bow is getting me interested in shooting period bow....

      - Iurii

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 11, 2013
        I bought an excellent Period bow from this guy about months ago. I love
        it. He makes them by hand charges a fraction of the usual price. I can't
        recommend him highly enough:

        http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.net/

        Caley
      • brotherjohn66
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 11, 2013
          Alas, unfortunately it is not period, in my opinion. The arrow rest kills it, as far as I am concerned. If anyone can show me a period longbow with an arrow rest, I'd love to see it. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I've not seen any.

          At any rate, good period bows can be had from KP Archery(on Ebay), for less than half the price, at $47.95.

          John Wayland

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Frank Schalles <francisschalles@...> wrote:

          > Archers, and particularly period archers, take a look.
          >
          > http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1510155&ecid=Email-f337w&em_id=nashoba@...&utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email-flash&utm_campaign=f337w
          > is the hotlink. Or you can g to www.sportsmansguide.com and look up
          > item F337W-293642
          >

          > Just promoting period archery, not the store. Good luck.
          >
          > Ld. Francois de Lions

        • J. Forte
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 11, 2013

            This is where I got my longbow. The seller is the one that John mentioned in his post. It shoots well, there is no armrest, and it's a nicely made bow crafted from Hickory. I shoot the 30# bow and I've been really pleased with it. :)

            - Jenn

            "Answer just what your heart prompts you."

            Jenn Forte, B.M.Ed., 1995 - University of Delaware
            M.B.A., 2000 - University of Delaware

            Alas, unfortunately it is not period, in my opinion. The arrow rest kills it, as far as I am concerned. If anyone can show me a period longbow with an arrow rest, I'd love to see it. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I've not seen any.

            At any rate, good period bows can be had from KP Archery(on Ebay), for less than half the price, at $47.95.

            John Wayland

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Frank Schalles <francisschalles@...> wrote:

            > Archers, and particularly period archers, take a look.
            >
            > http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1510155&ecid=Email-f337w&em_id=nashoba@...&utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email-flash&utm_campaign=f337w
            > is the hotlink. Or you can g to www.sportsmansguide.com and look up
            > item F337W-293642
            >

            > Just promoting period archery, not the store. Good luck.
            >
            > Ld. Francois de Lions

          • Jim Pickette
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 11, 2013
              Ahh yes. I learned from hints here that I can grow in several period directions. I prefer Frankish/Merovignian spear and axe thrower.

              JoO

              ---- Chris Ivins <yuriilev@...> wrote:
              > Yeah, that was my lament, too. I just called them and asked if it was possible to get one in 30-35#, or if they might be available in that poundage in the future and the person I spoke to said no.
              > Guess I might have to start working out my arms a bit, because this bow is getting me interested in shooting period bow....
              >
              > - Iurii
              >

              > >________________________________

            • Chris Ivins
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 11, 2013
                John,

                Thanks for the information, I was about to contact you and/or David to find out where you got your longbows! I Was describing the longbow details from the linked listing to Lady Johanna, and got to the point about it having a shelf (which I overlooked the first time), and we both said, "Wait, it has a shelf, that can't be shot in the 'period' category!"

                She then said to ask you or David where you got your longbows.

                - Iurii

                Alas, unfortunately it is not period, in my opinion. The arrow rest kills it, as far as I am concerned. If anyone can show me a period longbow with an arrow rest, I'd love to see it. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I've not seen any.

                At any rate, good period bows can be had from KP Archery(on Ebay), for less than half the price, at $47.95.

                John  Wayland

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Frank Schalles <francisschalles@...> wrote:

                > Archers, and particularly period archers, take a look.

                http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1510155&ecid=Email-f337w&em_id=nashoba@...&utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email-flash&utm_campaign=f337w
                > is the hotlink. Or you can g to www.sportsmansguide.com and look up
                > item F337W-293642
                >

                > Just promoting period archery, not the store. Good luck.
                >
                > Ld. Francois de Lions

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

              • Caley

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 12, 2013
                    I could handle the 40-45# one; hope they keep this item around, as the budget this year is shot.
                    Ancel

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 13, 2013
                      If you want a 'Period' longbow, then as has been said before, this bow will not be correct, it has a notched arrow shelf/rest, so it cannot be used in the period bow division.

                      - Iurii

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 13, 2013

                        How are his period bamboo arrows? I was thinking they may make a great tourney prize. At least get archers a chance at period arrows.
                        Cat

                      • richard johnson
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 13, 2013
                          There are a lot of good people out there that make everything from
                          autherntic Yew longbows for $1200 in England to people who do so in
                          America.

                          IF you are on a budget, try GIBow
                          http://www.gibow.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=112_113
                          For $50 or so (they often run half-price specials) you get a bare-bow
                          that you can shoot immediatly or sand and stain and adjust as you will
                          until it looks period.

                          I own three of these in 35# & 45# and a short-bow in 35#.

                          --
                          Rick Johnson
                          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 13, 2013
                            Awesome! Thanks for the link. This is what I have been searching for. I want to make my own bow, and this takes the hard part out of it.

                            --
                            Rick Johnson
                            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com