Which side?

  • hfc67
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2013

      Ok, so here's my story. I've loved crossbows since the James Bond film "For your eyes only" (I believe). So, back many years ago  at Pennsic 17 I purchased my first crossbow, a New World Arbalest model. Very basic. Straight stock, aluminum prod, tiller style trigger, no safety (worries me to this day). Since then I've shot nothing but crossbows. I now own a Whammo Powermaster, 1970's Barnett Wildcat and a San Marino. I'm fairly accurate with my crossbows. But there is still something undeniably iconic about a long bow. So last year Pennsic I bought one. It can be used in either hand. I'm right handed but I'm left eye dominate so I'm drawing with my left. Now this question might sound stupid but, cut me some slack, I've been shooting crossbows(and in the SCA) since I was 18 and I'm now 46. Which side of the bow should the arrow rest on? I believe it should rest on the left side of the bow but I'm not 100 percent certain.

            Thanks for the answers and be gentle with me

    • Guy Taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2013
        If you're shooting left handed then the arrow should rest on the right
        side of the bow.
        That's for European style. Asiatic recurves and thumb rings are a
        whole different animal.

        Taillear

        --
        The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
        Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2013
          pull w/ right rest on left, pull w/ left rest on right
          christopher

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2013
            after that many years on cross bow
            the humourous answer is the dark side.
            & the below answer pretty much covers it .
            I have been known to say the opposite side to sting hand
            or
            bow hand side.
            Welcome to the bow, I Hope you have fun .
            is
            Johann
            occasional archer
            an tir

            If you're shooting left handed then the arrow should rest on the right
            side of the bow.
            That's for European style. Asiatic recurves and thumb rings are a
            whole different animal.

            Taillear/utos/terms/