Re: [SCA-Archery] Additional Peerage Proposal

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013
      Janyn

      I have been on my kingdom and the SCA Chivalry list for a long time and you are right that some of the members do feel threatened at the thought of other peerages being created.  But, the number of the members of the OC that feel that way are only a percentage of the total membership of the SCA.

      What I have learned from those lists and others is, aside from those that are against the idea entirely, the most common complaint is the idea of creating too many peerages.

      Thank you

      Jon

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 28, 2013
        To put it simply, I am not satisfied. But, I completely agree that there should not be a plethora of peerages. Ergo, Sir Jon's idea of a single NRMA peerage has a great deal of appeal to me. Just my two cents worth....

        john Wayland
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Jim Pickette <pickette@...> wrote:

        > I am satisfied that all Kingdoms polled have a GOA and an AOA level Archery/thrown missiles award.
        >
        > If this is not universally true the please post it here.
        >
        > James of Odo, Fidelibus
        >
        > ---- Janyn Fletcher <janynfletcher@...> wrote:
        > > Sir, John while I applaud your efforts and cant say I disagree with your logic presented in principle,  I feel it leaves a bad taste for some of us. Of course I am speaking for Archery and will include the now considered Rapier group as well. I have never seen additional peerages ever taking away from Chivalry but maybe that is because I am not a Knight? I also have not been able to wrap my head around why in this society that we are all paying members of, why they would alienate anyone?
        > >
        > > Again it sounds like sour grapes and I'm not trying to make it sound that way but it seems like Rapier and possibly (or not) Archery would have to "settle" to gain peerage status even though there is evidence of all of these disciplines in period being recognized. Not trying to open any can of worms here but I just feel like it will come down to an all or nothing approach which is unfair and should not be acceptable in the end. I think your idea is a very level headed approach but I would hate to see all the others simply lumped into one group labeled "Chief cooks and bottle washers..."
        > >
        > > In Service,
        > >
        > > Janyn

      • Janyn Fletcher
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 28, 2013
          Thank you for the reply and information Sir Jon!