Re: [SCA-Archery] Viking birthday song

  • Taslen
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013

      Thanks much lurii

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      From: Chris Ivins <yuriilev@...>;
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>;
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Viking birthday song
      Sent: Mon, Aug 19, 2013 2:03:23 PM

      Yep,
      Still very popular in An Tir, but is known better as "Volga Birthday" as published in "The Complete Elf Hill Song Book", it is one of the first 'SCA' songs I learned!!

      And Gaelen, Happy Birthday *UNNH*!!

      - Iurii

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 21, 2013
        Interesting how regional differences can carry things.

        Here it's called the 'Birthday Dirge'. And there are MANY different
        versus, different people tend to know certain versus and will chime in
        with them. Usually only one person sings each chorus, while everyone
        chimes in with the chant. It's very common to be sung for birthdays
        (informally, like at business meetings).

        But - It's sung very differently. Much slower, truly as a 'dirge'.
        Also more melodic than those two were singing it.

        And instead of doing the nasal 'snort' that they were doing, everyone
        stomps their feet at those moments.

        Siegfried

        --
        Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia
      • Chris Ivins
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
          Yep,
          I was taught that we did a "chest thump" in place of a 'stomp', 'snort', or 'HUH!!', although we were told to not hit ourselves too hard, unless there was a Chirurgeon near by!

          - Iurii

          --
          Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Carl Nelson
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
            very interesting  the first time I heard this was in the east/middle kingdom at pennsic III then it was called the mongol birthday song.

            --
            Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)