Re: [SCA-Archery] Viking birthday song

  • Chris Ivins
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 19 7:03 AM
      Yep,
      Still very popular in An Tir, but is known better as "Volga Birthday" as published in "The Complete Elf Hill Song Book", it is one of the first 'SCA' songs I learned!!

      And Gaelen, Happy Birthday *UNNH*!!

      - Iurii

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 19 10:00 AM

        Thanks much lurii

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        ------------------------------
        On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 7:44 PM PDT Taslen wrote:

        > Today I turn 57, And I am so glad to have the SCA family
        > I have so thanks too all of you this song could become a common song hear at feasts.
        >
        >Gaelen O'Gradaigh
        >

        >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H8e-2TLgpA

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 21 6:22 PM
          Interesting how regional differences can carry things.

          Here it's called the 'Birthday Dirge'. And there are MANY different
          versus, different people tend to know certain versus and will chime in
          with them. Usually only one person sings each chorus, while everyone
          chimes in with the chant. It's very common to be sung for birthdays
          (informally, like at business meetings).

          But - It's sung very differently. Much slower, truly as a 'dirge'.
          Also more melodic than those two were singing it.

          And instead of doing the nasal 'snort' that they were doing, everyone
          stomps their feet at those moments.

          Siegfried

          --
          Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia
        • Chris Ivins
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 22 12:19 AM
            Yep,
            I was taught that we did a "chest thump" in place of a 'stomp', 'snort', or 'HUH!!', although we were told to not hit ourselves too hard, unless there was a Chirurgeon near by!

            - Iurii

            --
            Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Carl Nelson
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 22 6:28 AM
              very interesting  the first time I heard this was in the east/middle kingdom at pennsic III then it was called the mongol birthday song.

              --
              Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)