Re: [SCA-Archery] Viking birthday song

  • Taslen
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013
      It's nice to be called kid at 57! Jon I get the feeling your one of the few folks I would have stand my back if it came to it. ( And physicl condition is not the critical part as Lord Merlin is someone else I know that would have my back. I hope you know that I will be there for you when needed. I'm in the process of trying to make a list of recommendations for Midrealm awards since the current Tanist is asking for them.

      Respectfully
      Lord Gaelen O'Gradaigh
      Midrealm archery marshal of the field
      Archery MiC for the upcoming
      Melee at Roswell Sept 13-16
      Member of Merlin's Merry Men

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013
        Yep,
        Still very popular in An Tir, but is known better as "Volga Birthday" as published in "The Complete Elf Hill Song Book", it is one of the first 'SCA' songs I learned!!

        And Gaelen, Happy Birthday *UNNH*!!

        - Iurii

        ------------------------------
        On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 7:44 PM PDT Taslen wrote:

        > Today I turn 57, And I am so glad to have the SCA family
        > I have so thanks too all of you this song could become a common song hear at feasts.
        >
        >Gaelen O'Gradaigh
        >

        >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H8e-2TLgpA

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Taslen
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013

          Thanks much lurii

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          Still very popular in An Tir, but is known better as "Volga Birthday" as published in "The Complete Elf Hill Song Book", it is one of the first 'SCA' songs I learned!!

          And Gaelen, Happy Birthday *UNNH*!!

          - Iurii

          That is the first time I have heard all the verses to that song in ages. It used to be very popular here in the West in the early years.

          Jon

          ------------------------------
          On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 7:44 PM PDT Taslen wrote:

          > Today I turn 57, And I am so glad to have the SCA family
          > I have so thanks too all of you this song could become a common song hear at feasts.
          >
          >Gaelen O'Gradaigh
          >

          >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H8e-2TLgpA

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Siegfried
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 21, 2013
            Interesting how regional differences can carry things.

            Here it's called the 'Birthday Dirge'. And there are MANY different
            versus, different people tend to know certain versus and will chime in
            with them. Usually only one person sings each chorus, while everyone
            chimes in with the chant. It's very common to be sung for birthdays
            (informally, like at business meetings).

            But - It's sung very differently. Much slower, truly as a 'dirge'.
            Also more melodic than those two were singing it.

            And instead of doing the nasal 'snort' that they were doing, everyone
            stomps their feet at those moments.

            Siegfried

            --
            Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia
          • Chris Ivins
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
              Yep,
              I was taught that we did a "chest thump" in place of a 'stomp', 'snort', or 'HUH!!', although we were told to not hit ourselves too hard, unless there was a Chirurgeon near by!

              - Iurii

              --
              Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Carl Nelson
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
                very interesting  the first time I heard this was in the east/middle kingdom at pennsic III then it was called the mongol birthday song.

                --
                Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)