Re: [SCA-Archery] Viking birthday song

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 18, 2013
      Happy Birthday kid.
      That is the first time I have heard all the verses to that song in ages. It used to be very popular here in the West in the early years.

      Jon

      ------------------------------
      On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 7:44 PM PDT Taslen wrote:

      > Today I turn 57, And I am so glad to have the SCA family
      > I have so thanks too all of you this song could become a common song hear at feasts.
      >
      >Gaelen O'Gradaigh
      >

      >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H8e-2TLgpA
    • Taslen
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013
        It's nice to be called kid at 57! Jon I get the feeling your one of the few folks I would have stand my back if it came to it. ( And physicl condition is not the critical part as Lord Merlin is someone else I know that would have my back. I hope you know that I will be there for you when needed. I'm in the process of trying to make a list of recommendations for Midrealm awards since the current Tanist is asking for them.

        Respectfully
        Lord Gaelen O'Gradaigh
        Midrealm archery marshal of the field
        Archery MiC for the upcoming
        Melee at Roswell Sept 13-16
        Member of Merlin's Merry Men

        That is the first time I have heard all the verses to that song in ages. It used to be very popular here in the West in the early years.

        Jon

        ------------------------------
        On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 7:44 PM PDT Taslen wrote:

        > Today I turn 57, And I am so glad to have the SCA family
        > I have so thanks too all of you this song could become a common song hear at feasts.
        >
        >Gaelen O'Gradaigh
        >

        >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H8e-2TLgpA

      • Chris Ivins
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013
          Yep,
          Still very popular in An Tir, but is known better as "Volga Birthday" as published in "The Complete Elf Hill Song Book", it is one of the first 'SCA' songs I learned!!

          And Gaelen, Happy Birthday *UNNH*!!

          - Iurii

          That is the first time I have heard all the verses to that song in ages. It used to be very popular here in the West in the early years.

          Jon

          ------------------------------
          On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 7:44 PM PDT Taslen wrote:

          > Today I turn 57, And I am so glad to have the SCA family
          > I have so thanks too all of you this song could become a common song hear at feasts.
          >
          >Gaelen O'Gradaigh
          >

          >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H8e-2TLgpA

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Taslen
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013

            Thanks much lurii

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

            Still very popular in An Tir, but is known better as "Volga Birthday" as published in "The Complete Elf Hill Song Book", it is one of the first 'SCA' songs I learned!!

            And Gaelen, Happy Birthday *UNNH*!!

            - Iurii

            That is the first time I have heard all the verses to that song in ages. It used to be very popular here in the West in the early years.

            Jon

            ------------------------------
            On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 7:44 PM PDT Taslen wrote:

            > Today I turn 57, And I am so glad to have the SCA family
            > I have so thanks too all of you this song could become a common song hear at feasts.
            >
            >Gaelen O'Gradaigh
            >

            >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H8e-2TLgpA

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Siegfried
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 21, 2013
              Interesting how regional differences can carry things.

              Here it's called the 'Birthday Dirge'. And there are MANY different
              versus, different people tend to know certain versus and will chime in
              with them. Usually only one person sings each chorus, while everyone
              chimes in with the chant. It's very common to be sung for birthdays
              (informally, like at business meetings).

              But - It's sung very differently. Much slower, truly as a 'dirge'.
              Also more melodic than those two were singing it.

              And instead of doing the nasal 'snort' that they were doing, everyone
              stomps their feet at those moments.

              Siegfried

              --
              Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia
            • Chris Ivins
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
                Yep,
                I was taught that we did a "chest thump" in place of a 'stomp', 'snort', or 'HUH!!', although we were told to not hit ourselves too hard, unless there was a Chirurgeon near by!

                - Iurii

                --
                Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Carl Nelson
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
                  very interesting  the first time I heard this was in the east/middle kingdom at pennsic III then it was called the mongol birthday song.

                  --
                  Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)