Re: [SCA-Archery] Viking birthday song

  • Ld.blackmoon
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 18, 2013
      greetings

       well happy birthday ; )

      Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
      Arthur
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Taslen
      Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 9:44 PM
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Viking birthday song

       Today I turn 57, And I am so glad to have the SCA family
       I have so thanks too all of you this song could become a common song hear at feasts.

      Gaelen O'Gradaigh

      No virus found in this message.

    • Jim Pickette
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 18, 2013
        Next year in Lindisfarne !!!!

        JoO

        ---- "Ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...> wrote:
        > greetings
        >
        > well happy birthday ; )
        >
        > Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
        > Arthur

      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 18, 2013
          Happy Birthday kid.
          That is the first time I have heard all the verses to that song in ages. It used to be very popular here in the West in the early years.

          Jon

          ------------------------------
          On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 7:44 PM PDT Taslen wrote:

          > Today I turn 57, And I am so glad to have the SCA family
          > I have so thanks too all of you this song could become a common song hear at feasts.
          >
          >Gaelen O'Gradaigh
          >

          >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H8e-2TLgpA
        • Taslen
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013
            It's nice to be called kid at 57! Jon I get the feeling your one of the few folks I would have stand my back if it came to it. ( And physicl condition is not the critical part as Lord Merlin is someone else I know that would have my back. I hope you know that I will be there for you when needed. I'm in the process of trying to make a list of recommendations for Midrealm awards since the current Tanist is asking for them.

            Respectfully
            Lord Gaelen O'Gradaigh
            Midrealm archery marshal of the field
            Archery MiC for the upcoming
            Melee at Roswell Sept 13-16
            Member of Merlin's Merry Men

            That is the first time I have heard all the verses to that song in ages. It used to be very popular here in the West in the early years.

            Jon

            ------------------------------
            On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 7:44 PM PDT Taslen wrote:

            > Today I turn 57, And I am so glad to have the SCA family
            > I have so thanks too all of you this song could become a common song hear at feasts.
            >
            >Gaelen O'Gradaigh
            >

            >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H8e-2TLgpA

          • Chris Ivins
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013
              Yep,
              Still very popular in An Tir, but is known better as "Volga Birthday" as published in "The Complete Elf Hill Song Book", it is one of the first 'SCA' songs I learned!!

              And Gaelen, Happy Birthday *UNNH*!!

              - Iurii

              That is the first time I have heard all the verses to that song in ages. It used to be very popular here in the West in the early years.

              Jon

              ------------------------------
              On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 7:44 PM PDT Taslen wrote:

              > Today I turn 57, And I am so glad to have the SCA family
              > I have so thanks too all of you this song could become a common song hear at feasts.
              >
              >Gaelen O'Gradaigh
              >

              >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H8e-2TLgpA

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Taslen
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013

                Thanks much lurii

                Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                Still very popular in An Tir, but is known better as "Volga Birthday" as published in "The Complete Elf Hill Song Book", it is one of the first 'SCA' songs I learned!!

                And Gaelen, Happy Birthday *UNNH*!!

                - Iurii

                That is the first time I have heard all the verses to that song in ages. It used to be very popular here in the West in the early years.

                Jon

                ------------------------------
                On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 7:44 PM PDT Taslen wrote:

                > Today I turn 57, And I am so glad to have the SCA family
                > I have so thanks too all of you this song could become a common song hear at feasts.
                >
                >Gaelen O'Gradaigh
                >

                >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H8e-2TLgpA

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Siegfried
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 21, 2013
                  Interesting how regional differences can carry things.

                  Here it's called the 'Birthday Dirge'. And there are MANY different
                  versus, different people tend to know certain versus and will chime in
                  with them. Usually only one person sings each chorus, while everyone
                  chimes in with the chant. It's very common to be sung for birthdays
                  (informally, like at business meetings).

                  But - It's sung very differently. Much slower, truly as a 'dirge'.
                  Also more melodic than those two were singing it.

                  And instead of doing the nasal 'snort' that they were doing, everyone
                  stomps their feet at those moments.

                  Siegfried

                  --
                  Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia
                • Chris Ivins
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
                    Yep,
                    I was taught that we did a "chest thump" in place of a 'stomp', 'snort', or 'HUH!!', although we were told to not hit ourselves too hard, unless there was a Chirurgeon near by!

                    - Iurii

                    --
                    Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Carl Nelson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
                      very interesting  the first time I heard this was in the east/middle kingdom at pennsic III then it was called the mongol birthday song.

                      --
                      Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)