RE: [SCA-Archery] Ottoman archery

  • Jude Harrison
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2013
      Not SCA related but here is the vid for Team Canada v Republic of Iraq

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssr8jiN1oTQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

      We must learn to live together as brothers
      or perish together as fools.

      ~ Martin Luther King Jr

      To: sca-archery@yahoogroups.com
      From: jude_harrison@...
      Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 14:18:21 +0000
      Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] Ottoman archery

      About six weeks ago I was in Turkey as coach for Team Canada Archery in the World Cup.

      A lot of women archers shot in full hajib.  In the Compound Division, the Canadian Mixed Team defeated the Republic of Iran for the bronze medal.  The woman shooting was wearing a hijab.

      Morrigan

      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      From: rikjohnson39@...
      Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:35:26 -0700

      really fascinating techniques....

      BUT...

      I also noticed that all of this students were orthodox moslem women????

      Isn't that forbidden for them?  In modern times I mean.

      I've lived next to enough orthodox from Arabia, Libya and a few other countries plus a couple Tours in SW Asia to ask that question.

      On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

      Interesting video on Ottoman archery. Note the method of using sword and bow.

      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com