Re: [SCA-Archery] Age of kingdom archery orders

  • tristanoshea
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 13, 2013
      Looks like 1992 for An Tir according to the O and A.

      http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Grey%20Goose%20Shaft%2C%20Order%20of%20the

      HL Tristan O'Shea

      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 13, 2013
        I just doubled check on the OGGS in the West, the date I gave was wrong.  It was Jan AS XIV (1980). 1987 was when the name was changed to RCA.

        Jon

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 13, 2013
          Jon, Atlantia has the Order of the Yew Bow started in 1987, it is also a grant level order.

          In Service,

          Janyn

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 13, 2013
            Greetings!

            In Ealdormere, we have a streamlined set of awards. The Grant-level
            martial Order, which can be given for archery, is Thorbjorn's Hammer,
            first given on 11/14/98 (and first given to an archer two weeks later).
            The AoA-level award is the Scarlet Banner, first awarded 4/10/1999 (I
            can't tell which of the early awardees might have been for archery,
            since several of them do multiple things).

            Nicolaa
          • Hugh Prescott
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 13, 2013
              Kingdom of Calontir, Kingdom status 1983

              GOA level Boga Hirth first awarded on 1984-09-02presently 39 members

              AOA level Boga Fyrd first awarded on 1983-02-26 presently 184 members

              Hugh Prescott, Boga Huscarl #17 (1996)
            • J C Ronsen
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 13, 2013
                On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 09:28:43 -0700 (PDT), John Edgerton wrote:
                > I was wondering about the age of various kingdom archery orders.
                >

                > The West started with the Order of the Grey Goose Shaft in August
                > of AS XX (1985). The name was later changed to the Royal Company of
                > Archers and is now named the Royal Missile Company, it is a grant
                > level order.
                >

                > What do the other kingdoms have?
                >

                > Jon

                In AEthelmearc, we have three archery related awards, one for youth and two for adults.
                The Order of the Silver Alce (founded 08/16/02) is a youth, non-armigerous award award for any and all martial activities.
                The Order of the Golden Alce (founded 02/10/90) is an AoA level award for any and all martial activities.
                The Order of the Scarlet Guard (founded 10/18/97) is a GoA level order strictly for archery.

                ska: Baron Caleb Reynolds
                mka: Caleb Ronsen
                aka: Bubba th' Barbarian
                Baron of the Court of AEthelmearc
                Because you can't spell "Blare Yens Cold" without Caleb Reynolds.

                "A penny for your thoughts; $20 to act it out"
              • John Edgerton
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013
                  I thought the OGGS had members in An Tir dating back to the 1980's.

                  Jon

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013

                    Some members were inducted into the Order while An Tir was still a Principality.  Thomas of Appledore and Julian Farnsworth of Falconmoors come to mind.

                    Archos Aleksei Zateev, OGGS

                    I thought the OGGS had members in An Tir dating back to the 1980's.

                    Jon

                    Looks like 1992 for An Tir according to the O and A.

                    http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Grey%20Goose%20Shaft%2C%20Order%20of%20the

                    HL Tristan O'Shea

                    I have not found a date for when An Tir started using the OGGS, but I am looking up the information.
                    - Iurii

                    In Caid we have The Argent Arrow. (Arnigerious) and The order of the Chiron. (Grant level)

                    In service to the dream

                    Baron Jon Thomme
                    OC

                    Gold is for the mistress
                    Silver for the maid
                    R. Kipling

                  • Alexandre Saint Pierre
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013
                      I don't believe I've seen the East Kingdom represented yet.

                      Order of the Sagittarius (OSag): given to those who show superior prowess at target archery, and who have distinguished themselves in archery in one of the following areas; teaching and demonstrating the art of archery, making archery equipment or by helping to arrange archery at events and/or sites. The order's badge is: Azure, a sagittary passant to sinister, the human torso turned to dexter Or. Established January 22, A.S. 18 by Viktor and Sedalia; updated March 24, A.S. 41 by Lucan and Jana.

                      Orders of High Merit are "polling orders": the Crown must consult the companions of the order via a written poll before granting the award.

                      The Order of the Sagittarius includes an Award of Arms if the recipient does not already bear a Patent, Grant, or Award of Arms.

                      (from: http://www.sca.org/awards/east.html)

                      -Alexandre

                    • JonThomme De Claydon
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013
                        Forgot to include the dates.
                        In Caid we have The Argent Arrow. 1984 (Armigerous) and The order of the Chiron. 1996 (Grant level)

                        In service to the dream

                        Baron Jon Thomme
                        OC

                        Gold is for the mistress