Re: [SCA-Archery] Age of kingdom archery orders

  • Chris Ivins
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 13, 2013
      I have not found a date for when An Tir started using the OGGS, but I am looking up the information.
      - Iurii

      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 13, 2013
        Looks like 1992 for An Tir according to the O and A.

        http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Grey%20Goose%20Shaft%2C%20Order%20of%20the

        HL Tristan O'Shea

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 13, 2013
          I just doubled check on the OGGS in the West, the date I gave was wrong.  It was Jan AS XIV (1980). 1987 was when the name was changed to RCA.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 13, 2013
            Jon, Atlantia has the Order of the Yew Bow started in 1987, it is also a grant level order.

            In Service,

            Janyn

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 13, 2013
              Greetings!

              In Ealdormere, we have a streamlined set of awards. The Grant-level
              martial Order, which can be given for archery, is Thorbjorn's Hammer,
              first given on 11/14/98 (and first given to an archer two weeks later).
              The AoA-level award is the Scarlet Banner, first awarded 4/10/1999 (I
              can't tell which of the early awardees might have been for archery,
              since several of them do multiple things).

              Nicolaa
            • Hugh Prescott
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 13, 2013
                Kingdom of Calontir, Kingdom status 1983

                GOA level Boga Hirth first awarded on 1984-09-02presently 39 members

                AOA level Boga Fyrd first awarded on 1983-02-26 presently 184 members

                Hugh Prescott, Boga Huscarl #17 (1996)
              • J C Ronsen
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 13, 2013
                  On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 09:28:43 -0700 (PDT), John Edgerton wrote:
                  > I was wondering about the age of various kingdom archery orders.
                  >

                  > The West started with the Order of the Grey Goose Shaft in August
                  > of AS XX (1985). The name was later changed to the Royal Company of
                  > Archers and is now named the Royal Missile Company, it is a grant
                  > level order.
                  >

                  > What do the other kingdoms have?
                  >

                  > Jon

                  In AEthelmearc, we have three archery related awards, one for youth and two for adults.
                  The Order of the Silver Alce (founded 08/16/02) is a youth, non-armigerous award award for any and all martial activities.
                  The Order of the Golden Alce (founded 02/10/90) is an AoA level award for any and all martial activities.
                  The Order of the Scarlet Guard (founded 10/18/97) is a GoA level order strictly for archery.

                  ska: Baron Caleb Reynolds
                  mka: Caleb Ronsen
                  aka: Bubba th' Barbarian
                  Baron of the Court of AEthelmearc
                  Because you can't spell "Blare Yens Cold" without Caleb Reynolds.

                  "A penny for your thoughts; $20 to act it out"
                • John Edgerton
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013
                    I thought the OGGS had members in An Tir dating back to the 1980's.

                    Jon

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013

                      Some members were inducted into the Order while An Tir was still a Principality.  Thomas of Appledore and Julian Farnsworth of Falconmoors come to mind.

                      Archos Aleksei Zateev, OGGS

                      I thought the OGGS had members in An Tir dating back to the 1980's.

                      Jon

                      Looks like 1992 for An Tir according to the O and A.

                      http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Grey%20Goose%20Shaft%2C%20Order%20of%20the

                      HL Tristan O'Shea

                      I have not found a date for when An Tir started using the OGGS, but I am looking up the information.
                      - Iurii

                      In Caid we have The Argent Arrow. (Arnigerious) and The order of the Chiron. (Grant level)

                      In service to the dream

                      Baron Jon Thomme
                      OC

                      Gold is for the mistress
                      Silver for the maid
                      R. Kipling

                    • Alexandre Saint Pierre
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013
                        I don't believe I've seen the East Kingdom represented yet.

                        Order of the Sagittarius (OSag): given to those who show superior prowess at target archery, and who have distinguished themselves in archery in one of the following areas; teaching and demonstrating the art of archery, making archery equipment or by helping to arrange archery at events and/or sites. The order's badge is: Azure, a sagittary passant to sinister, the human torso turned to dexter Or. Established January 22, A.S. 18 by Viktor and Sedalia; updated March 24, A.S. 41 by Lucan and Jana.

                        Orders of High Merit are "polling orders": the Crown must consult the companions of the order via a written poll before granting the award.

                        The Order of the Sagittarius includes an Award of Arms if the recipient does not already bear a Patent, Grant, or Award of Arms.

                        (from: http://www.sca.org/awards/east.html)

                        -Alexandre

                      • JonThomme De Claydon
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013
                          Forgot to include the dates.
                          In Caid we have The Argent Arrow. 1984 (Armigerous) and The order of the Chiron. 1996 (Grant level)

                          In service to the dream

                          Baron Jon Thomme
                          OC

                          Gold is for the mistress