Re: [SCA-Archery] ??strings??

  • Guy Taylor
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 11, 2013
      Actually, I emailed Chad to ask him about that.
      He is currently taking orders but hasn't updated the web page yet.

      No offence intended but that Flemish string pictured on the eBay page
      doesn't have any taper on the splice. It'll work fine but it's made
      more like a truck than a sports car.

      Taillear

      --
      The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
      Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 11, 2013

        And no offense to you, but at less than half the price I'll take lil John's truck string.

        David

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 11, 2013
          Hah!
          Well put, David.
          I encourage all archers to learn how to make their own Flemish
          bowstrings. It's not a difficult thing to learn and it adds immensly
          to the archery experience.
          Plus, you'll never have to wait when you suddenly find yourself in
          need of a new string... like at an event that you won't be able to
          participate in due to a broken or damaged string... or one that is
          sitting on the kitchen table, 36 miles away.

          Taillear

          On 8/11/13, ater seraph <ater_seraph@...> wrote:
          > And no offense to you, but at less than half the price I'll take lil John's
          > truck string.
          >
          > David
          >
          > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          --
          The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
          Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.
        • Carolus
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 12, 2013
            I keep a spool of bowstring material in my tackle bag along with my tape measures and a sharp knife.  Given a half hour or so I can build a new string anywhere.  Great thing about Flemish twist is that it needs no serving (I usually serve the centers anyway) by adding a few extra strands in the center (otherwise their critical or hyper-critical strings for speed).
            Carolus
            On 8/11/2013 11:54 PM, Guy Taylor wrote:

            Hah!
            Well put, David.
            I encourage all archers to learn how to make their own Flemish
            bowstrings. It's not a difficult thing to learn and it adds immensly
            to the archery experience.
            Plus, you'll never have to wait when you suddenly find yourself in
            need of a new string... like at an event that you won't be able to
            participate in due to a broken or damaged string... or one that is
            sitting on the kitchen table, 36 miles away.

            Taillear

            On 8/11/13, ater seraph <ater_seraph@...> wrote:
            > And no offense to you, but at less than half the price I'll take lil John's
            > truck string.
            >
            > David
            >
            > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

            --
            The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
            Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.

          • Bill Moore
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 12, 2013

              On this same note about strings, where would one find a nice 25” string for a crossbow, with about a 60# pull?

              Edward

              href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/170895260029?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649">http://www.ebay.com/itm/170895260029?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

            • Caley
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 12, 2013
                I always buy strings in pairs, and I always bring both to events in case
                something happens to one of them.

                Caley