Spruce vs. POC

  • tomjulessca
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2013
      I am looking to purchase 25-30 spine shafts. Does anyone have information, or opinion, on relative merits (weight, durability, grain straightness, ease to straighten) between cedar and spruce? Thanks.

      Tom
    • Guy Taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22, 2013
        Back in April I was at a shoot and speaking with Dan of Wapiti Archery
        about light spined shafts. We ended up coming to an agreement on 200ea
        25/29 cedar shafts and I've been using them for customer arrows since.
        They're easy to work with, although they need a more delicate touch
        for straightening than, say... 60/64 spined shafts.
        I typically use Sitka spruce shafts from Hildebrand and have been very
        happy with everything I've gotten from them. My customers have been
        very pleased with the arrows I make from spruce.
        From a making arrows side I don't see a lot of difference between the
        two woods. From a shooting arrows side I think the spruce has a slight
        edge in strength.

        On grain straightness it's going to depend upon who makes the shaft.
        Both Wapiti and Hildebrand are very good for straight grain. I
        recently had a customer get some shafts from Rose City for me to make
        his arrows and the grain on them was horrible, even though they were
        "premium" shafts.

        Really, I think you'll be happy with either material so long as it
        comes from a good shaft manufacturer.

        Taillear

        --
        The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
        Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2013
          M'Lord Tom,

          I've used 11/32" Sitka spruce for several batches of specialty arrows. They are considerably lighter than POC, but seem to fly about the same. 3Rivers claims spruce is "stronger" than POC, but they don't explain this--less bendable, or harder to break? Spruce has a much more prominent grain, and will take more sanding to get it smooth. The grain opens back up with water-based sealants like Minwax Polycrylic. Always use polyurethane if you want a smooth shaft. Spruce costs more. While spruce has its uses, I still prefer POC.

          And by the way, I've also tried ash, hickory, oak, pine, birch and poplar (or asp as the English called it). Ash is great, but heavy and my arrows sank after 20 yards. Pine is o.k., and I used it for bolts. I wouldn't buy the others again, except for making A&S arrows. POC is still the best choice.

          And speaking of POC, I just obtained some Rose City/Acme shafts for the first time in several years. Like the current shafts from 3Rivers, they are bleeding pitch. Rose City always made a big thing about their shafts coming from sinker logs salvaged off the bottom of old mill pond, and being well seasoned. I don't know if this was a fluke, or if Rose City has run out of sinkers. I rate the quality the same as 3Rivers (could they be the same?), good, but not great.

          Yours Aye,

          Lord Mungo Napier, The Archer of Mallard Lodge
          Read "The Tale of Mungo Napier":
          http://people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/napier1.html

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23, 2013
            Tailler and Lord Mungo,