Re: Shooting

  • hugo_von_gutenbach
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
      It is all about what you are comfortable with and what you want. I prefer the flatter trajectory, and I manage the 55# just fine. If a person can draw and hold for 5 seconds without any type of shaking, I would say it is safe for them.

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, JonThomme De Claydon <JonThomme@...> wrote:

      > Seems to be a lot of he-men shooting powerful bows. I always shoot a 35 lb
      > 28" and find heavier bows un comfortable to shoot and I can shoot 100 yards
      > or more with a 35 so I don't need to hurt my self.
      > for the last year been pulling a vintage Pearson pony recurve off the
      > glove. I used to shoot a Pearson Mercury Gold Sovereign but it needed to be
      > retired / restored and it may have offered an unfair advantage with the
      > mercury in the grip.
      >
      > I shoot the same bow for leisure and competition.
      >
      > In service to the dream
      >
      > Baron Jon Thomme
      >
      > Gold is for the mistress
      > Silver for the maid
      > Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade.
      > "Good" said the Baron sitting in his hall,
      > But iron, cold iron is master of them all.
      > R. Kipling

    • Tristan Workman
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
        I agree... I prefer shooting where there is a flat trajectory until just
        past 30 yards so that I barely have to correct for the first two distances.

        However it is getting old how people on the range think I have a 50# due to
        some SCA monster truck attitude. I could care less what poundage people
        use... Personally, if I was going to do that I would own an 80# or above.
        *grin*

        Ok, mild rant over... heh

        Tristan O'Shea

        wrote:

        > Seems to be a lot of he-men shooting powerful bows. I always shoot a
        > 35 lb 28" and find heavier bows un comfortable to shoot and I can
        > shoot 100 yards or more with a 35 so I don't need to hurt my self.
        > for the last year been pulling a vintage Pearson pony recurve off the
        > glove. I used to shoot a Pearson Mercury Gold Sovereign but it needed
        > to be retired / restored and it may have offered an unfair advantage
        > with the mercury in the grip.
        >
        > I shoot the same bow for leisure and competition.
        >
        > In service to the dream
        >
        > Baron Jon Thomme
        >
        > Gold is for the mistress
        > Silver for the maid
        > Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade.
        > "Good" said the Baron sitting in his hall, But iron, cold iron is
        > master of them all.
        > R. Kipling

      • Bernhard Rohrer
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
          Kassai Turgul I @ 28#. Mostly to get my technique back. Will move up to at least 35# after that.

          /Arpad

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
            I shoot a Samick SKB recurve with a draw-weight of 30# @ 28". It's a modern version of a traditional Korean bow without an arrow shelf. I make my own self-nock arrows and shoot off the hand. I shoot it Western style (three fingers on the string), but I'm starting to play with thumb release.

            -Faolan mac Cairbre
            Barony of Bjornsborg, Ansteorra

            --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "David" <ater_seraph@ ...> wrote:

            > Greetings fellow Archers,

            > I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?

            > In Service,

            > Da'ud
            > Barony of Adiantum, AnTir
          • Dougal MacAlister
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 13, 2013
              My lightweight tourney bow, 75# modern longbow.
              My lightweight warbow, 110# bamboo -yew lam.

              Sent from my iPhone