Re: [SCA-Archery] Shooting

  • Robert Meyer
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
      I make longbows and I typically shoot a hickory backed, rock maple longbow that I never quite got around to finishing. I roughed it in, tillered it and took it out in the yard to test it. At some point, I decided that sealing it would be a good idea so I gave it a couple of coats of boiled linseed oil. I still shoot it, five years after I made it, tool marks and all :-) I have made many bows since then but I typically give them away. I made a really nice hickory backed, purpleheart bow with horn nocks and the works but there was a flaw in the hickory and the backing is splitting, so I don't shoot that one, any more.

      Next up is going to be a hickory self bow that I have in the works (as soon as a friend gets finished with the one that I'm teaching her to make) that will have horn tips and a leather wrapped grip.

      All of these bows have been simple longbows with no shelves or cutouts.

      One of these days, I'll get around to building a laminated recurve but I have other fish to fry.

      Cheers!

      Robert

      David <ater_seraph@...> wrote:
      Greetings fellow Archers,

      I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?

      In Service,

      Da'ud
      Barony of Adiantum, AnTir

    • Colan Kynkade
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
        I shoot a 55lb recurve and longbow.

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "David" <ater_seraph@...> wrote:

        > Greetings fellow Archers,
        >
        > I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?
        >
        > In Service,
        >
        > Da'ud
        > Barony of Adiantum, AnTir

      • victoriadewhitney
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
          Bloodwood longbow from Kimgslayer Armory.
          30#-28"
          Yes, it has an arrow shelf. But, I gotta start somewhere, right?
          I'm getting back into it after 10 years off. So for now, it's just for range use. I'd like to get another bow for combat.

          Victoria de Whitney
          Previously Trimaris, now West Kingdom

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "David" <ater_seraph@...> wrote:

          > Greetings fellow Archers,
          >
          > I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?
          >
          > In Service,
          >
          > Da'ud
          > Barony of Adiantum, AnTir

        • hugo_von_gutenbach
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
            It is all about what you are comfortable with and what you want. I prefer the flatter trajectory, and I manage the 55# just fine. If a person can draw and hold for 5 seconds without any type of shaking, I would say it is safe for them.

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, JonThomme De Claydon <JonThomme@...> wrote:

            > Seems to be a lot of he-men shooting powerful bows. I always shoot a 35 lb
            > 28" and find heavier bows un comfortable to shoot and I can shoot 100 yards
            > or more with a 35 so I don't need to hurt my self.
            > for the last year been pulling a vintage Pearson pony recurve off the
            > glove. I used to shoot a Pearson Mercury Gold Sovereign but it needed to be
            > retired / restored and it may have offered an unfair advantage with the
            > mercury in the grip.
            >
            > I shoot the same bow for leisure and competition.
            >
            > In service to the dream
            >
            > Baron Jon Thomme
            >
            > Gold is for the mistress
            > Silver for the maid
            > Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade.
            > "Good" said the Baron sitting in his hall,
            > But iron, cold iron is master of them all.
            > R. Kipling

          • Tristan Workman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
              I agree... I prefer shooting where there is a flat trajectory until just
              past 30 yards so that I barely have to correct for the first two distances.

              However it is getting old how people on the range think I have a 50# due to
              some SCA monster truck attitude. I could care less what poundage people
              use... Personally, if I was going to do that I would own an 80# or above.
              *grin*

              Ok, mild rant over... heh

              Tristan O'Shea

              wrote:

              > Seems to be a lot of he-men shooting powerful bows. I always shoot a
              > 35 lb 28" and find heavier bows un comfortable to shoot and I can
              > shoot 100 yards or more with a 35 so I don't need to hurt my self.
              > for the last year been pulling a vintage Pearson pony recurve off the
              > glove. I used to shoot a Pearson Mercury Gold Sovereign but it needed
              > to be retired / restored and it may have offered an unfair advantage
              > with the mercury in the grip.
              >
              > I shoot the same bow for leisure and competition.
              >
              > In service to the dream
              >
              > Baron Jon Thomme
              >
              > Gold is for the mistress
              > Silver for the maid
              > Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade.
              > "Good" said the Baron sitting in his hall, But iron, cold iron is
              > master of them all.
              > R. Kipling

            • Bernhard Rohrer
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                Kassai Turgul I @ 28#. Mostly to get my technique back. Will move up to at least 35# after that.

                /Arpad

                --
              • Amber Bayles
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                  I shoot a Samick SKB recurve with a draw-weight of 30# @ 28". It's a modern version of a traditional Korean bow without an arrow shelf. I make my own self-nock arrows and shoot off the hand. I shoot it Western style (three fingers on the string), but I'm starting to play with thumb release.

                  -Faolan mac Cairbre
                  Barony of Bjornsborg, Ansteorra

                  --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "David" <ater_seraph@ ...> wrote:

                  > Greetings fellow Archers,

                  > I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?

                  > In Service,

                  > Da'ud
                  > Barony of Adiantum, AnTir
                • Dougal MacAlister
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 13, 2013
                    My lightweight tourney bow, 75# modern longbow.
                    My lightweight warbow, 110# bamboo -yew lam.

                    Sent from my iPhone