Re: [SCA-Archery] Shooting

  • J. Forte
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
      I shoot a 30 lb english longbow replica I purchased, made from hickory. It's not on the SCA vendors list, but it looks historically accurate. (Just a stick!) It does have a dacron string and I put a metal nock point on it instead of using serving string to make a more "authentic" one.

      I picked it up on ebay - nice bow, good businessman: http://stores.ebay.com/KP-Archery

      Inexpensive, shoots great! You can put your own handle wrap on it if you want. I haven't bothered. :)

      "Answer just what your heart prompts you."

      Jenn Forte, B.M.Ed., 1995 - University of Delaware
      M.B.A., 2000 - University of Delaware

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
        Oh, to add to that: I currently use the english longbow replica for everything, but I also own and have shot a PSE entry-level takedown recurve at 24#.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
          Seems to be a lot of he-men shooting powerful bows. I always shoot a 35 lb 28" and find heavier bows un comfortable to shoot and I can shoot 100 yards or more with a 35 so I don't need to hurt my self.
           for the last year been pulling a vintage Pearson pony recurve off the glove. I used to shoot a Pearson Mercury Gold Sovereign but it needed to be retired / restored and it may have offered an unfair advantage with the mercury in the grip.

          I shoot the same bow for leisure and competition.

          In service to the dream

          Baron Jon Thomme

          Gold is for the mistress
          Silver for the maid
          R. Kipling
        • Robert Meyer
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
            I make longbows and I typically shoot a hickory backed, rock maple longbow that I never quite got around to finishing. I roughed it in, tillered it and took it out in the yard to test it. At some point, I decided that sealing it would be a good idea so I gave it a couple of coats of boiled linseed oil. I still shoot it, five years after I made it, tool marks and all :-) I have made many bows since then but I typically give them away. I made a really nice hickory backed, purpleheart bow with horn nocks and the works but there was a flaw in the hickory and the backing is splitting, so I don't shoot that one, any more.

            Next up is going to be a hickory self bow that I have in the works (as soon as a friend gets finished with the one that I'm teaching her to make) that will have horn tips and a leather wrapped grip.

            All of these bows have been simple longbows with no shelves or cutouts.

            One of these days, I'll get around to building a laminated recurve but I have other fish to fry.

            Cheers!

            Robert

            David <ater_seraph@...> wrote:
            Greetings fellow Archers,

            I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?

            In Service,

            Da'ud
            Barony of Adiantum, AnTir

          • richard johnson
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
              Depends.
              I bought a number of take-downs for camping but never take them out.
              I have a 42" hickory "longbow" that I carry on my kayak in a PVC
              carry-tube for stump-shooting in the field.

              I also have an Optimus take-down with 20# limbs that I use in my backyard.

              When on the range, I use both my 35# hickory Longbow or my 45# Bear recurve.
              Though I ma almost finished with my 45# longbow (just need to wrap the
              handle) and I ma anxious to take it out for its first use!!!

              --
              Rick Johnson
              http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
                I shoot a 55lb recurve and longbow.

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "David" <ater_seraph@...> wrote:

                > Greetings fellow Archers,
                >
                > I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?
                >
                > In Service,
                >
                > Da'ud
                > Barony of Adiantum, AnTir

              • victoriadewhitney
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
                  Bloodwood longbow from Kimgslayer Armory.
                  30#-28"
                  Yes, it has an arrow shelf. But, I gotta start somewhere, right?
                  I'm getting back into it after 10 years off. So for now, it's just for range use. I'd like to get another bow for combat.

                  Victoria de Whitney
                  Previously Trimaris, now West Kingdom

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "David" <ater_seraph@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings fellow Archers,
                  >
                  > I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?
                  >
                  > In Service,
                  >
                  > Da'ud
                  > Barony of Adiantum, AnTir

                • hugo_von_gutenbach
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                    It is all about what you are comfortable with and what you want. I prefer the flatter trajectory, and I manage the 55# just fine. If a person can draw and hold for 5 seconds without any type of shaking, I would say it is safe for them.

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, JonThomme De Claydon <JonThomme@...> wrote:

                    > Seems to be a lot of he-men shooting powerful bows. I always shoot a 35 lb
                    > 28" and find heavier bows un comfortable to shoot and I can shoot 100 yards
                    > or more with a 35 so I don't need to hurt my self.
                    > for the last year been pulling a vintage Pearson pony recurve off the
                    > glove. I used to shoot a Pearson Mercury Gold Sovereign but it needed to be
                    > retired / restored and it may have offered an unfair advantage with the
                    > mercury in the grip.
                    >
                    > I shoot the same bow for leisure and competition.
                    >
                    > In service to the dream
                    >
                    > Baron Jon Thomme
                    >
                    > Gold is for the mistress
                    > Silver for the maid
                    > Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade.
                    > "Good" said the Baron sitting in his hall,
                    > But iron, cold iron is master of them all.
                    > R. Kipling

                  • Tristan Workman
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                      I agree... I prefer shooting where there is a flat trajectory until just
                      past 30 yards so that I barely have to correct for the first two distances.

                      However it is getting old how people on the range think I have a 50# due to
                      some SCA monster truck attitude. I could care less what poundage people
                      use... Personally, if I was going to do that I would own an 80# or above.
                      *grin*

                      Ok, mild rant over... heh

                      Tristan O'Shea

                      wrote:

                      > Seems to be a lot of he-men shooting powerful bows. I always shoot a
                      > 35 lb 28" and find heavier bows un comfortable to shoot and I can
                      > shoot 100 yards or more with a 35 so I don't need to hurt my self.
                      > for the last year been pulling a vintage Pearson pony recurve off the
                      > glove. I used to shoot a Pearson Mercury Gold Sovereign but it needed
                      > to be retired / restored and it may have offered an unfair advantage
                      > with the mercury in the grip.
                      >
                      > I shoot the same bow for leisure and competition.
                      >
                      > In service to the dream
                      >
                      > Baron Jon Thomme
                      >
                      > Gold is for the mistress
                      > Silver for the maid
                      > Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade.
                      > "Good" said the Baron sitting in his hall, But iron, cold iron is
                      > master of them all.
                      > R. Kipling

                    • Bernhard Rohrer
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                        Kassai Turgul I @ 28#. Mostly to get my technique back. Will move up to at least 35# after that.

                        /Arpad

                        --
                      • Amber Bayles
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                          I shoot a Samick SKB recurve with a draw-weight of 30# @ 28". It's a modern version of a traditional Korean bow without an arrow shelf. I make my own self-nock arrows and shoot off the hand. I shoot it Western style (three fingers on the string), but I'm starting to play with thumb release.

                          -Faolan mac Cairbre
                          Barony of Bjornsborg, Ansteorra

                          --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "David" <ater_seraph@ ...> wrote:

                          > Greetings fellow Archers,

                          > I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?

                          > In Service,

                          > Da'ud
                          > Barony of Adiantum, AnTir
                        • Dougal MacAlister
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 13, 2013
                            My lightweight tourney bow, 75# modern longbow.
                            My lightweight warbow, 110# bamboo -yew lam.

                            Sent from my iPhone