Re: Shooting

  • hugo_von_gutenbach
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 9, 2013
      45# @ 28" Bear Grizzly recurve
      55# @ 28" Bob Lee Thunderbolt recurve
      175# @ 7 1/2" Wyvern Creations crossbow

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "David" <ater_seraph@...> wrote:

      > Greetings fellow Archers,
      >
      > I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?
      >
      > In Service,
      >
      > Da'ud
      > Barony of Adiantum, AnTir

    • Tristan Workman
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 9, 2013
        I shoot a 50# @ 28" Bear Montana modern longbow and have a 29 1/2" draw...
        not sure where that really puts it.

        I plan on moving to completely period with two English longbows once I
        finish saving the cash... hopefully one will be 40 - 45ish # and the other
        will be over 50 - 60# somewhere as I want to take a look at medieval
        hunting.

        Tristan O'Shea
        Glymm Mere, An Tir

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 9, 2013
          I use the same bows for SCA events, mundane 3D shoots, general sport
          archery, and hunting.
          Whether they are wood bows I made, wood bows that have been gifted to
          me, or 'glass lam bows I've purchased, they are all 50# to 55# at my
          25" draw.

          Taillear

          On 7/9/13, Tristan Workman <microdaddy@...> wrote:
          > I shoot a 50# @ 28" Bear Montana modern longbow and have a 29 1/2" draw...
          > not sure where that really puts it.
          >
          > I plan on moving to completely period with two English longbows once I
          > finish saving the cash... hopefully one will be 40 - 45ish # and the other
          > will be over 50 - 60# somewhere as I want to take a look at medieval
          > hunting.
          >
          > Tristan O'Shea
          > Glymm Mere, An Tir

          The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
          Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.
        • Ronald Klick
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
            Greetings,
            Stemmler Turk, 42# recurve hunting bow. (28" draw length) Bought 40 years ago new.
            Use it for shooting eveything. SCA, 3D, target archery. Have 2 blade broadheads
            for my aluminum arrows if I did start hunting, otherwise use 125g field points.

            YIS,
            Osmond de Berwic

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013

              Noble Friends,

              Ah, bows and such! I use a 40# Tred Barta modern hunting longbow (3Rivers) for practice and Royal Rounds. For my hand, this is the absolute perfect bow. I have an old 40# Bear Polar recurve which gets only occasional use. For tournaments, I use a 40# Rudder Bows/3Rivers Hawkwood English-style longbow, shot off the hand. I have made it my goal to shoot period when I am in garb.

              My sweetheart shoots a 35# Martin Stick longbow.

              Down the basement was have a whole arsenal of bows, mostly our loaners. There are the usual fiberglass youth bows in various sizes and weights up to 35 lbs. Bows in my personal loaner kit are mostly new or nearly new, as I believe in giving guests good-quality stuff. There are a few higher poundage wood/fiberglass loaners, including a 46# Bear Hawk recurve and a 42# custom-made Zack Ferguson Z-50 longbow (possibly the most expensive loaner bow the entire SCA). We also keep the Shire’s collection of relic youth bows at our house.

              Yours Aye,

              Lord Mungo Napier, The Archer of Mallard Lodge

              Read “The Tale of Mungo Napier”:

              http://people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/napier1.html

              I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?

              In Service,

              Da'ud
              Barony of Adiantum, AnTir

            • Dierk zem Grauen Wolf

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
                  Bear Kodiak Magnum - 45 - occasionaly
                  Bear Panda - 30 - almost never, given to me by sister-in-law
                  Flagella Dai Horse bow - 40 - when in Berber persona
                  Martin Hunter - 45 - Occasionally
                  Elk Ridge Longbow - 38 most of the time
                  Elk Ridge Longbow - 48 alternate with above bow frequently
                  Cold Mountain Longbow - 46 - Switch out occasionally with Elk Ridge bows above
                  Elk Ridge ELB - 42 - when going for the total period look
                  Crossbow Prod no stock yet - 130

                  I also have a variety of combat crossbows with prod weights of 60 pounds. I don't shoot combat archery now days though but fun to play with now and then or loan.

                  I also have a Ben Pearson lemon wood bow about 30 pounds I repaired and backed with snake skin and a stick bow of about same draw weight that was gifted to me by an individual who retired from the game. I don't shoot either of these bows.

                  My favorite bow is the Old Ridge 38 pounder followed by the 48 pounder. Kinda depends on how I'm shooting that day.

                  cog

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "David" <ater_seraph@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings fellow Archers,
                  >
                  > I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?
                  >
                  > In Service,
                  >
                  > Da'ud
                  > Barony of Adiantum, AnTir

                • J. Forte
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
                    I shoot a 30 lb english longbow replica I purchased, made from hickory. It's not on the SCA vendors list, but it looks historically accurate. (Just a stick!) It does have a dacron string and I put a metal nock point on it instead of using serving string to make a more "authentic" one.

                    I picked it up on ebay - nice bow, good businessman: http://stores.ebay.com/KP-Archery

                    Inexpensive, shoots great! You can put your own handle wrap on it if you want. I haven't bothered. :)

                    "Answer just what your heart prompts you."

                    Jenn Forte, B.M.Ed., 1995 - University of Delaware
                    M.B.A., 2000 - University of Delaware

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
                      Oh, to add to that: I currently use the english longbow replica for everything, but I also own and have shot a PSE entry-level takedown recurve at 24#.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
                        Seems to be a lot of he-men shooting powerful bows. I always shoot a 35 lb 28" and find heavier bows un comfortable to shoot and I can shoot 100 yards or more with a 35 so I don't need to hurt my self.
                         for the last year been pulling a vintage Pearson pony recurve off the glove. I used to shoot a Pearson Mercury Gold Sovereign but it needed to be retired / restored and it may have offered an unfair advantage with the mercury in the grip.

                        I shoot the same bow for leisure and competition.

                        In service to the dream

                        Baron Jon Thomme

                        Gold is for the mistress
                        Silver for the maid
                        R. Kipling
                      • Robert Meyer
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
                          I make longbows and I typically shoot a hickory backed, rock maple longbow that I never quite got around to finishing. I roughed it in, tillered it and took it out in the yard to test it. At some point, I decided that sealing it would be a good idea so I gave it a couple of coats of boiled linseed oil. I still shoot it, five years after I made it, tool marks and all :-) I have made many bows since then but I typically give them away. I made a really nice hickory backed, purpleheart bow with horn nocks and the works but there was a flaw in the hickory and the backing is splitting, so I don't shoot that one, any more.

                          Next up is going to be a hickory self bow that I have in the works (as soon as a friend gets finished with the one that I'm teaching her to make) that will have horn tips and a leather wrapped grip.

                          All of these bows have been simple longbows with no shelves or cutouts.

                          One of these days, I'll get around to building a laminated recurve but I have other fish to fry.

                          Cheers!

                          Robert

                          David <ater_seraph@...> wrote:
                          Greetings fellow Archers,

                          I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?

                          In Service,

                          Da'ud
                          Barony of Adiantum, AnTir

                        • richard johnson
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
                            Depends.
                            I bought a number of take-downs for camping but never take them out.
                            I have a 42" hickory "longbow" that I carry on my kayak in a PVC
                            carry-tube for stump-shooting in the field.

                            I also have an Optimus take-down with 20# limbs that I use in my backyard.

                            When on the range, I use both my 35# hickory Longbow or my 45# Bear recurve.
                            Though I ma almost finished with my 45# longbow (just need to wrap the
                            handle) and I ma anxious to take it out for its first use!!!

                            --
                            Rick Johnson
                            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
                              I shoot a 55lb recurve and longbow.

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "David" <ater_seraph@...> wrote:

                              > Greetings fellow Archers,
                              >
                              > I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?
                              >
                              > In Service,
                              >
                              > Da'ud
                              > Barony of Adiantum, AnTir

                            • victoriadewhitney
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
                                Bloodwood longbow from Kimgslayer Armory.
                                30#-28"
                                Yes, it has an arrow shelf. But, I gotta start somewhere, right?
                                I'm getting back into it after 10 years off. So for now, it's just for range use. I'd like to get another bow for combat.

                                Victoria de Whitney
                                Previously Trimaris, now West Kingdom

                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "David" <ater_seraph@...> wrote:

                                > Greetings fellow Archers,
                                >
                                > I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?
                                >
                                > In Service,
                                >
                                > Da'ud
                                > Barony of Adiantum, AnTir

                              • hugo_von_gutenbach
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                                  It is all about what you are comfortable with and what you want. I prefer the flatter trajectory, and I manage the 55# just fine. If a person can draw and hold for 5 seconds without any type of shaking, I would say it is safe for them.

                                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, JonThomme De Claydon <JonThomme@...> wrote:

                                  > Seems to be a lot of he-men shooting powerful bows. I always shoot a 35 lb
                                  > 28" and find heavier bows un comfortable to shoot and I can shoot 100 yards
                                  > or more with a 35 so I don't need to hurt my self.
                                  > for the last year been pulling a vintage Pearson pony recurve off the
                                  > glove. I used to shoot a Pearson Mercury Gold Sovereign but it needed to be
                                  > retired / restored and it may have offered an unfair advantage with the
                                  > mercury in the grip.
                                  >
                                  > I shoot the same bow for leisure and competition.
                                  >
                                  > In service to the dream
                                  >
                                  > Baron Jon Thomme
                                  >
                                  > Gold is for the mistress
                                  > Silver for the maid
                                  > Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade.
                                  > "Good" said the Baron sitting in his hall,
                                  > But iron, cold iron is master of them all.
                                  > R. Kipling

                                • Tristan Workman
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                                    I agree... I prefer shooting where there is a flat trajectory until just
                                    past 30 yards so that I barely have to correct for the first two distances.

                                    However it is getting old how people on the range think I have a 50# due to
                                    some SCA monster truck attitude. I could care less what poundage people
                                    use... Personally, if I was going to do that I would own an 80# or above.
                                    *grin*

                                    Ok, mild rant over... heh

                                    Tristan O'Shea

                                    wrote:

                                    > Seems to be a lot of he-men shooting powerful bows. I always shoot a
                                    > 35 lb 28" and find heavier bows un comfortable to shoot and I can
                                    > shoot 100 yards or more with a 35 so I don't need to hurt my self.
                                    > for the last year been pulling a vintage Pearson pony recurve off the
                                    > glove. I used to shoot a Pearson Mercury Gold Sovereign but it needed
                                    > to be retired / restored and it may have offered an unfair advantage
                                    > with the mercury in the grip.
                                    >
                                    > I shoot the same bow for leisure and competition.
                                    >
                                    > In service to the dream
                                    >
                                    > Baron Jon Thomme
                                    >
                                    > Gold is for the mistress
                                    > Silver for the maid
                                    > Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade.
                                    > "Good" said the Baron sitting in his hall, But iron, cold iron is
                                    > master of them all.
                                    > R. Kipling

                                  • Bernhard Rohrer
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                                      Kassai Turgul I @ 28#. Mostly to get my technique back. Will move up to at least 35# after that.

                                      /Arpad

                                      --
                                    • Amber Bayles
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                                        I shoot a Samick SKB recurve with a draw-weight of 30# @ 28". It's a modern version of a traditional Korean bow without an arrow shelf. I make my own self-nock arrows and shoot off the hand. I shoot it Western style (three fingers on the string), but I'm starting to play with thumb release.

                                        -Faolan mac Cairbre
                                        Barony of Bjornsborg, Ansteorra

                                        --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "David" <ater_seraph@ ...> wrote:

                                        > Greetings fellow Archers,

                                        > I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?

                                        > In Service,

                                        > Da'ud
                                        > Barony of Adiantum, AnTir
                                      • Dougal MacAlister
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 13, 2013
                                          My lightweight tourney bow, 75# modern longbow.
                                          My lightweight warbow, 110# bamboo -yew lam.

                                          Sent from my iPhone