Re: Kingdom Bow Catagories

  • The Greys
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 7, 2013
      Carolus - Nail head. SMACK!!! Dead on! I have always believed that a champion's shoot should test the skill of an archer so that the true champion prevails. Thus in our baronial champion shoots I have designed and conducted I have things like shooting with unfamiliar equipment, I provide the bow and arrows for one portion of the shoot. At Southern Atlantian Archery Day, SAAD for short, I believe archers of all skill levels should be able to score some points. Thus I set shooting stations that are not as tough but have a few to separate out and challenge the better archers.

      But can we be reasonable here? How many of us have seen pictures of aborigine folks shooting compound bows with sights, release mechanisms, balancers, string silencers, carbon shafted arrows, et al? Yeah, I haven't either. And yet amazingly these folks are able to feed their families from what they kill with basically a bent stick with a string on it. And yet we hear of modern "hunters" missing shots on a deer.

      Longbows are slightly more difficult to master than modern recurves. But practice, practice, practice makes a HUGE difference in the results. Do we not read about archers in period that could hit the heart of a man sized target at 100 or more yards or shoot through the open visor of a French knight?

      Thus it is NOT the equipment but the "operator" that makes the difference. Carolus, right on!

      cog

      > What I really find sad is the fact the folks believe the equipment makes
      > more of a difference than the archer. I have found that this only
      > applies until the archers achieve a
      > moderate skill level then the skill overcomes the equipment.
      > Carolus
    • Ronald Klick
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 9, 2013
        Greetings fellow archers,

        The answers are availability, and the quest for high scores! The Aborigine use what is available, what they can make themselves, it is what the know and what they are good at. Much like the ELB in period, they trained with it from a young age. many of us do not get enough practice time as it is. Some can afford Blackwidows, and they are mostly not likely to let them go in favor of lower scores with a period bow. I shoot a "vintage" Stemmler Turk hunting bow, which I've owned for forty years now. I also teach kids at camp, and run practices where SCA youth can shoot IKAC rounds in the three "Youth" Divisions. I quite often shoot their equipment so that I have a feel for it when teaching. (its a lot of fun to challenge another adult to shooting these light bows and arrows at novelty shoots at events!!) I do not think archers are measured by their skill in some cases, but their skill with a specific set of premium tools. Problem is how to get the most Elite on the RR list to take the lead with Period equipment.

        Osmond de Berwic

        --- In mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com, Carolus <eulenhorst@...> wrote:

        > What I really find sad is the fact the folks believe the equipment makes
        > more of a difference than the archer. I have found that this only
        > applies until the archers achieve a
        > moderate skill level then the skill overcomes the equipment.
        > Carolus

      • Groff, Garth (ggg9y)
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 9, 2013

          M’Lord Osmond, Greetings.

          The easiest way to spread period archery is to lead by example. That’s what I’m trying to do.

          Throwing down challenges is another way. Make others want to prove themselves with period equipment.

          And teach, teach, teach. Make your students curious. Set easy goals at first. I just taught a University class on making simple target-weight period-style arrows. I will teach this again at Pennsic. At least a few of my students are going to try making these arrows, and one or two may take up a period bow as well.

          We can’t beat anybody with a stick to make them want to try. Tempting, but probably futile.

          Yours Aye,

          Lord Mungo Napier, The Archer of Mallard Lodge

          Read “The Tale of Mungo Napier”:

          http://people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/napier1.html