Re: [SCA-Archery] SCA & Fita rules Re:Archery rules question

  • bradb17703
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
      Scores improve???

      In Æthelmearc no one touches any arrows until the scoring marshal is
      present (exception - deadwood or *noncounters*) Seldom do we allow archers
      to 'score' their own rounds and report to the marshal that score (although
      I *have* done that on occasion with archers I personally trust [usually a
      Marshal in their own right]) The count is added as the arrow is pulled and
      I can watch for any inadvertant 'movement' of the target. (Other marshals
      add all the arrows *prior* to removal if the target is not "buried" with
      an intense cluster of arrows in one area.) Either method requires a
      scoring Marshal to be present and witnissing the score. Ergo, little
      chance of "cheating" the score.

      Brada

      > While I find this entire thread interesting I also find it unnecessary.

      (snippage)

      > But I have also seen and heard archers who have their scores "improve" as
      > they walk back to the shooting line to report their score. Really? You
      > know, if it's that important to you, no problem. But YOU and I both know
      > what you did and who can shoot honestly and who can't.
      >
      > This is a hobby not a profession. I have yet to see anyone get a huge
      > contract to represent some archery company from an SCA shoot due to their
      > scores.
      >
      > Just saying,
      > cog

    • Jim Pickette
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
        No chance of cheating exists among our honourable archers. If they do, I will ignore it rather than sew discord within our Society.

        JoO

        ---- bradb@... wrote:
        > Scores improve???
        >
        > In Æthelmearc no one touches any arrows until the scoring marshal is
        > present (exception - deadwood or *noncounters*) Seldom do we allow archers
        > to 'score' their own rounds and report to the marshal that score (although
        > I *have* done that on occasion with archers I personally trust [usually a
        > Marshal in their own right]) The count is added as the arrow is pulled and
        > I can watch for any inadvertant 'movement' of the target. (Other marshals
        > add all the arrows *prior* to removal if the target is not "buried" with
        > an intense cluster of arrows in one area.) Either method requires a
        > scoring Marshal to be present and witnissing the score. Ergo, little
        > chance of "cheating" the score.
        >
        > Brada
        >
        > > While I find this entire thread interesting I also find it unnecessary.
        >
        > (snippage)
        > >
        > > But I have also seen and heard archers who have their scores "improve" as
        > > they walk back to the shooting line to report their score. Really? You
        > > know, if it's that important to you, no problem. But YOU and I both know
        > > what you did and who can shoot honestly and who can't.
        > >
        > > This is a hobby not a profession. I have yet to see anyone get a huge
        > > contract to represent some archery company from an SCA shoot due to their
        > > scores.
        > >
        > > Just saying,
        > > cog

      • tompilcher
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
          We normally allow people shooting Royal Rounds to score themselves on the honour system.

          For most tournaments we have the marshal score all shots.

          *I* often ‘seed’ people in the tournaments I run by their RR scores submitted. People who “fudge” their Royal Rounds scores only handicap themselves.

          And, yes, we have some who are known to do it. For the most part they are in the middle of the pack and it’s not a huge issue in the submitted scores.

          James Llewellyn ap Gruffydd, OP
          OGGS

          Sent from Windows Mail