Re: [SCA-Archery] Strings Part II

  • Fritz
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
      When richard johnson put fingers to keys it was 6/26/13 10:43 AM...

      > For those who DO make bowstrings, how often do your strings fail?
      > And what would you say was the cause?

      I've had linen strings fail.
      They wore at the nock point and I hadn't yet learned the signs*.

      The strings always broke as the arrow left the bow, it was never
      traumatic, just disappointing.

      I make twined "Flemish" strings. I go 4x bow strength in the body, and
      add in half again the threads at the ends for the loop and the bowyer's
      knot, and as much as is necessary to fit the arrows in the nocking area.
      I found that serving that area hides the signs of impending failure.

      *
      On a linen or hemp and beeswax string: When the spot where the arrow
      rests starts looking like polished black walnut, it's time to replace.
      This was learned on a 70+# Osage Orange Longbow. YMMV.