RE: [SCA-Archery] SCA & Fita rules Re:Archery rules question

  • Nicholas Calabria
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
      Siegfried and Janyn,

      Agreed .  Also when combat blunt arrows are used for target archery this is a very different dynamic to using
      points even for the same type of target.

      Add to this accuracy when moving compared to being stationary.  Each change tends to to change the skill requirement in
      some way which for me makes it more challenging, more interesting and more fun.

      Getting good in all areas would be nice.

      Just my 2c worth.

      Anselm da Calabria
      Barony of Ynys Fawr

      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      CC: janynfletcher@...
      From: siegfried@...
      Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:11:33 -0400
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] SCA & Fita rules Re:Archery rules question

      On 7/1/13 6:08 PM, Janyn Fletcher wrote:
      > here in Atlantia we value our novelty shoots and have seen time and time
      > again that many archers who excel at RR are much less effective at
      > novelty shoots

      Well said, but also the exact opposite has also often been seen. There
      are those archers who can excel at novelty shoots. But when pressed to
      try to get pinpoint accuracy at specific ranges (IE, a RR) ...

      Fall much shorter than their skill at Novelty Shoots would indicate :)

      Siegfried

      --
      Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia

    • bradb17703
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
        Scores improve???

        In Æthelmearc no one touches any arrows until the scoring marshal is
        present (exception - deadwood or *noncounters*) Seldom do we allow archers
        to 'score' their own rounds and report to the marshal that score (although
        I *have* done that on occasion with archers I personally trust [usually a
        Marshal in their own right]) The count is added as the arrow is pulled and
        I can watch for any inadvertant 'movement' of the target. (Other marshals
        add all the arrows *prior* to removal if the target is not "buried" with
        an intense cluster of arrows in one area.) Either method requires a
        scoring Marshal to be present and witnissing the score. Ergo, little
        chance of "cheating" the score.

        Brada

        > While I find this entire thread interesting I also find it unnecessary.

        (snippage)

        > But I have also seen and heard archers who have their scores "improve" as
        > they walk back to the shooting line to report their score. Really? You
        > know, if it's that important to you, no problem. But YOU and I both know
        > what you did and who can shoot honestly and who can't.
        >
        > This is a hobby not a profession. I have yet to see anyone get a huge
        > contract to represent some archery company from an SCA shoot due to their
        > scores.
        >
        > Just saying,
        > cog

      • Jim Pickette
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
          No chance of cheating exists among our honourable archers. If they do, I will ignore it rather than sew discord within our Society.

          JoO

          ---- bradb@... wrote:
          > Scores improve???
          >
          > In Æthelmearc no one touches any arrows until the scoring marshal is
          > present (exception - deadwood or *noncounters*) Seldom do we allow archers
          > to 'score' their own rounds and report to the marshal that score (although
          > I *have* done that on occasion with archers I personally trust [usually a
          > Marshal in their own right]) The count is added as the arrow is pulled and
          > I can watch for any inadvertant 'movement' of the target. (Other marshals
          > add all the arrows *prior* to removal if the target is not "buried" with
          > an intense cluster of arrows in one area.) Either method requires a
          > scoring Marshal to be present and witnissing the score. Ergo, little
          > chance of "cheating" the score.
          >
          > Brada
          >
          > > While I find this entire thread interesting I also find it unnecessary.
          >
          > (snippage)
          > >
          > > But I have also seen and heard archers who have their scores "improve" as
          > > they walk back to the shooting line to report their score. Really? You
          > > know, if it's that important to you, no problem. But YOU and I both know
          > > what you did and who can shoot honestly and who can't.
          > >
          > > This is a hobby not a profession. I have yet to see anyone get a huge
          > > contract to represent some archery company from an SCA shoot due to their
          > > scores.
          > >
          > > Just saying,
          > > cog

        • tompilcher
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
            We normally allow people shooting Royal Rounds to score themselves on the honour system.

            For most tournaments we have the marshal score all shots.

            *I* often ‘seed’ people in the tournaments I run by their RR scores submitted. People who “fudge” their Royal Rounds scores only handicap themselves.

            And, yes, we have some who are known to do it. For the most part they are in the middle of the pack and it’s not a huge issue in the submitted scores.

            James Llewellyn ap Gruffydd, OP
            OGGS

            Sent from Windows Mail