re-backing a bow

  • Samuel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2013
      I have a bow that the backing is coming off. Some of it is pealing and
      a few inches of backing is missing. I'd like to take all of it off and
      put some new backing on. The old backing almost looks like a piece of
      plastic. However, it tears more like very thin leather or epoxied paper.

      My questions are:
      what should I use to re-back this bow?

      what sort of glue/epoxy will handle the riggers of holding the backing
      on a bow?

      How important could the backing be to the bow? Would it be ok to just
      carefully sand it down and just finish it? What sort of finish would
      stand up to being on a bow?
      Samuel