re-backing a bow

  • Samuel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2013
      I have a bow that the backing is coming off. Some of it is pealing and
      a few inches of backing is missing. I'd like to take all of it off and
      put some new backing on. The old backing almost looks like a piece of
      plastic. However, it tears more like very thin leather or epoxied paper.

      My questions are:
      what should I use to re-back this bow?

      what sort of glue/epoxy will handle the riggers of holding the backing
      on a bow?

      How important could the backing be to the bow? Would it be ok to just
      carefully sand it down and just finish it? What sort of finish would
      stand up to being on a bow?
      Samuel
    • Samuel

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 27, 2013
          Some old schoolers say that a bow backing is unnecessary because a well made selfbow doesn't need it and gains nothing in the terms of cast when it comes to backing. I am new school and say that bamboo adds much to cast and linen, hide or even a thick layer of hickory adds durability to to a bow.
          Definitely reback it if it had a backing on it originally.
          I am a huge fan of EA-40 2part bow glue but there are a bunch more (Unibond is another) but make sure they are made for bows, you want it to bond but not get brittle or it will fail. Also, get lots of clamps, you'll need them.
          If you want to simple sand and finish, I've used everything from boiled linseed oil, reapplying it every six months or so, to Trufinish oil and laquer, it's really up to you.

          -Lord William Douglas