Re: Strings newbie help?

  • lekervere
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 25, 2013
      For twisting the string, there are many tutorials online, with video. You will notice not all of them use the same methods. You can pick and choose, and find what works for you. Some people swear by two-strand strings. I prefer three strands.
      My own experience has shown me a few things, which I will offer here. Lightweight strings shoot faster. Most string tutorials show overbuilt strings, usually meant to achieve a particular diameter, to allow the arrow nock to clip onto the string. With proper shooting form the arrow does not have to grip the string, mostly. Thumb shooters may prefer it. Anyway, the rule of thumb for safety is that a bow string should test at four times the draw poundage of the bow. You don't need to build a whole string and test it to failure. Just take a thread of whatever you want to use for string, tie it to a secure dowel or peg, wrap it around a few times and attach a fish scale to the tail. Now pull it until it breaks. You can repeat this several times to be certain, but it is likely you will come up with a consistent breaking strength. Take your bow weight, multiply by four and divide by the breaking strength, and you will have the minimum number of threads for a bow string. You can add a bit for more safety. The breaking strength of B-50 is 33 pounds. Now you see what I mean by overbuilt. For roundness I make most of my strings from three stands of three threads each. With a center serving, these will catch a nock clip, barely. Natural fiber threads, like linen, will figure out to a lot more threads, but bear in mind these fibers are lighter in weight than dacron, so the overall weight of a linen string may be similar to a synthetic string.
      Concerning wax, when building flemish strings, you want the string to stay twisted and neatly laid while working. I use a mixture of beeswax and brewers pitch on the ends of the string that form the loop and the tapered tail. This mixture is called palm. Its stickier than beeswax, though once everything is laid up, it doesn't seem to attract more dirt than plain wax. It really keeps those errant treads in line.
      I use a bowyer's knot at one end of the bow. Some string makers will call this unacceptable, but I've never had one fail. For heavier bows, up in the 60 and 70 pound range it may be better to lay in the two loops.

      Edward le Kervere

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

      > As the newest string maker here (my lady made me a string jig for our anniversary) where do I start looking for how to articles I shoot a 35pound pull ELB that I had made for me.
      >
      > Gaelen
      >

      > ________________________________

    • richard johnson
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 25, 2013
        now THIS single post was extremely informative!!!!

        Brewers pitch?
        Is this common pine sap that can be melted down to make glue?
        I gather that it can also be used to coat the inside of leather or
        horn drinking vessels?
        What is the mixture with beeswax.. how much pitch to how much beeswax
        for archery?

        --
        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 25, 2013
          I'm glad you liked my post.
          Yes, brewer's pitch is pine sap, and I do also use it to seal leather vessels. I think its a mixture of pine sap and mineral oil, mostly pine sap. For the palm, you could use plain pine sap. I think the mixture is one part pitch to four parts beeswax. Its been a while and I didn't take notes. One thumb size lump has done for maybe two dozen bow strings, and is still two thirds unused.
          I buy brewer's pitch by the pound from the James Townsend and Sons Catalog online. For those working on more period kits, and who have some skill with leather, look up bottels and leather jacks online. You can buy them made up, but some use an epoxy product to seal the inside. The trouble with this is, once its cracked, you can't fix it. When the brewer's pitch develops a leak, you warm it by the fire until the pitch flows and it reseals.

          Edward le Kervere

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > twisted and neatly laid while working. I use a mixture of beeswax and
          > > brewers pitch on the ends of the string that form the loop and the tapered
          > > tail. This mixture is called palm. Its stickier than beeswax, though once
          > > everything is laid up, it doesn't seem to attract more dirt than plain wax.
          > > It really keeps those errant treads in line.
          > > I use a bowyer's knot at one end of the bow. Some string makers will call
          > > this unacceptable, but I've never had one fail. For heavier bows, up in the
          > > 60 and 70 pound range it may be better to lay in the two loops.
          > >
          > > Edward le Kervere
          > >
          > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> As the newest string maker here (my lady made me a string jig for our
          > >> anniversary) where do I start looking for how to articles I shoot a
          > >> 35pound pull ELB that I had made for me.

        • Taslen
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 26, 2013
            thanks for the information I will be starting soon

            Gaelen

            For twisting the string, there are many tutorials online, with video. You will notice not all of them use the same methods. You can pick and choose, and find what works for you. Some people swear by two-strand strings. I prefer three strands.
            My own experience has shown me a few things, which I will offer here. Lightweight strings shoot faster. Most string tutorials show overbuilt strings, usually meant to achieve a particular diameter, to allow the arrow nock to clip onto the string. With proper shooting form the arrow does not have to grip the string, mostly. Thumb shooters may prefer it. Anyway, the rule of thumb for safety is that a bow string should test at four times the draw poundage of the bow. You don't need to build a whole string and test it to failure. Just take a thread of whatever you want to use for string, tie it to a secure dowel or peg, wrap it around a few times and attach a fish scale to the tail. Now pull it until it breaks. You can repeat this several times to be certain, but it is likely you will come up with a consistent breaking strength. Take your bow weight, multiply by four and divide by the breaking strength, and you will have the minimum number of threads for a bow string. You can add a bit for more safety. The breaking strength of B-50 is 33 pounds. Now you see what I mean by overbuilt. For roundness I make most of my strings from three stands of three threads each. With a center serving, these will catch a nock clip, barely. Natural fiber threads, like linen, will figure out to a lot more threads, but bear in mind these fibers are lighter in weight than dacron, so the overall weight of a linen string may be similar to a synthetic string.
            Concerning wax, when building flemish strings, you want the string to stay twisted and neatly laid while working. I use a mixture of beeswax and brewers pitch on the ends of the string that form the loop and the tapered tail. This mixture is called palm. Its stickier than beeswax, though once everything is laid up, it doesn't seem to attract more dirt than plain wax. It really keeps those errant treads in line.
            I use a bowyer's knot at one end of the bow. Some string makers will call this unacceptable, but I've never had one fail. For heavier bows, up in the 60 and 70 pound range it may be better to lay in the two loops.

            Edward le Kervere

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

            > As the newest string maker here (my lady made me a string jig for our anniversary) where do I start looking for how to articles I shoot a 35pound pull ELB that I had made for me.
            >
            > Gaelen
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Caterina Fortuna
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 2, 2013

              My lord has experimented some with modern materials, like certain types of fishing line, dacron, fast flight,...
              What this means it's some of his strings are very thin. So thin that I requested a thicker serving to keep my fingers from hurting. The thicker the bowstring the slower it responds. We check our arrow velocity at our local archery shop. This is helpful when tuning your bow...
              Serving (thread) comes in different thicknesses. You can also add an extra layer or two in the area where your fingers pull.
              We compromised by making a thin string with a thicker serving where my fingers pull.
              Cat

            • Bill Tait
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 3, 2013
                There is also a risk of making the string too thin, resulting in what is called a "critical" string. If it is too thin, it will not react the same from shot to shot. I played once with different string thicknesses and brace heights. The guideline for B-50 (Dacron) is 3-4 lbs (bow poundage) per strand. My 30# should have had 8 as a "thin" string. 6 was far too few :) It lasted 13 shots before letting go. Thankfully it didn't fail catastrophically, but rather the brace height dropped to just a few inches.

                PS: A good finger tab will keep your fingers from hurting, and will improve your consistency.

                William Arwemakere

                On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:52 PM, Caterina Fortuna <cat4tuna@...> wrote:

                My lord has experimented some with modern materials, like certain types of fishing line, dacron, fast flight,...
                What this means it's some of his strings are very thin. So thin that I requested a thicker serving to keep my fingers from hurting. The thicker the bowstring the slower it responds. We check our arrow velocity at our local archery shop. This is helpful when tuning your bow...
                Serving (thread) comes in different thicknesses. You can also add an extra layer or two in the area where your fingers pull.
                We compromised by making a thin string with a thicker serving where my fingers pull.
                Cat

              • The Greys
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 3, 2013
                  Considering the bow is an ancient weapon it is truly amazing how much physics goes into it's functioning. How many on this list have ever wondered how far they could throw an arrow? I know I couldn't throw one even 20 yards much less with any degree of accuracy. Thus when a bow is drawn the energy of the bent limbs is stored. Upon release of the string that energy is transferred to the arrow causing it to fly to the bulls eye - or at least that's what we hope! :-) ANYTHING added to the string or bow limbs takes away from the energy going to the arrow. Thus thicker strings, nock points, string silencers, servings all detract from the energy transferred to the arrow. Even things like end caps some folks put on their limb tips detracts. Again, basic physics, it takes energy to move these things, energy that does not go into the arrow.

                  Personally I like string silencers and nock points. I use Dacron B-50 on most of my bows as that is what's recommended by their maker. I have one Cold Mountain longbow that I use FastFlight strings on because, again, that's what the maker recommends. However, I will say one day shooting, I rather stupidly pulled the arrow nock off the string during the draw without knowing it, and fired the bow. Fortunately it did not break but it snapped off a sliver of the limb tip veneer. So "Don't dry fire your bow" means a great deal to me these days!

                  cog

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Caterina Fortuna <cat4tuna@...> wrote:

                  > My lord has experimented some with modern materials, like certain types of
                  > fishing line, dacron, fast flight,...
                  > What this means it's some of his strings are very thin. So thin that I
                  > requested a thicker serving to keep my fingers from hurting. The thicker
                  > the bowstring the slower it responds. We check our arrow velocity at our
                  > local archery shop. This is helpful when tuning your bow...
                  > Serving (thread) comes in different thicknesses. You can also add an extra
                  > layer or two in the area where your fingers pull.
                  > We compromised by making a thin string with a thicker serving where my
                  > fingers pull.
                  > Cat

                • Siegfried
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 3, 2013
                    Your rule is simpler than mine. Mine has always been walking through
                    the following mention formula:

                    1. B-50 is rated at 50 lbs

                    2.1 However on an endless loop string, you have half as many at the ends
                    2.2 On a Flemish string, the 'weave' is only 50% as strong.

                    3. Therefore, you need to at least double it.

                    4. Now, multiply by 4 for a safety factor. Because, ummm, yeah. BE SAFE.

                    ;)

                    So that meant to me: 30# bow? means I need at least 2 strands, so I
                    make an 8 strand string.

                    80# combat crossbow? I'd need 4 strands. So I make a 16 strand string.

                    130# crossbow? I'd need 6 strands, so I make a 24 strand string.

                    ... It's a lot more rough of math, and if I'm close to a limit (50, 100,
                    150), I'll add an extra bundle of 4. So a 50# bow gets 12 strand, 100#
                    crossbow gets 20 strand, and 150# crossbow gets 28.

                    Siegfried

                    --
                    Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia
                  • Fritz
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 3, 2013
                      > Flemish Twist is at
                      > http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/features/flemishstring/flemishstring.html

                      Argh! The dreaded string jig!
                      OK _I_ dread it.
                      I have enough STUFF already and this bulky item only does _one_ thing.

                      BTW, the infinitive of the verb for the twisting we do to make one of
                      these strings is "to twine".

                      -----------------

                      "FLEMISH" BOWSTRINGS - WITHOUT THE JIG

                      All you need to make a bowstring is the string material, some beeswax,
                      the bow, a sharp knife (scissors will do if you aren't safe with a
                      knife), and two hands (though I know a kid who I bet can do this with
                      his only hand.)

                      Cut all your strands the same length; about a hand-span longer than the bow.

                      Cut enough strands for their total strength to equal four times the
                      poundage of the bow. This number is X. Make sure it's an even number,
                      have an extra instead of going short.

                      Make two bundles with equal numbers of strands.

                      Shift the strands in each bundle relative to each other, 1/8", 3/16",
                      even 1/4".
                      It depends on the size and number of the strands and the sort of taper
                      you want.

                      Draw the strands over the wax in a group until you have wax enough on
                      them to keep them in order.

                      Add X/4 10" strands at one end of each bundle, these will strengthen the
                      loop.

                      Stagger their ends too.

                      Wax them in.

                      Lay the reinforced ends of the bundles next to each other with the
                      remaining strands headed in opposite directions.
                      (This is more awkward than having the bundles heading in the same
                      direction, but I'm more comfortable with the idea of the actual bundles
                      pulling _against_ each other. Same direction may be fine, but I don't
                      know it.)

                      Twine the center until you have enough for the loop to slide partway
                      down the top of the bow.

                      Join the legs together, long with short, and twine about an inch past
                      the end of the last reinforcing strand.

                      Leave the strands straight (and _equally_ tensioned) until about four
                      inches above your expected nocking point. (Everything's going to
                      stretch, you may even have to re-twine this string once it has. It's a
                      learning experience.)

                      Twine the bundles for an inch.

                      Add in a 12" or 14" strand by its center. Adding half of it to each bundle.

                      Twine about 1/4".

                      Add another such strand by its center.

                      Continue adding strands in this manner until you have achieved the
                      thickness required to fit the nocks of your arrows.
                      (Do a test beforehand so you know how many to cut.)

                      Twine about an inch past the end of the last reinforcing strand.

                      About 11" from the ends of the bundles, twine the bundles for an inch.

                      As with the nocking area, add in X/4 20" strands by their centers. These
                      will reinforce the area that will become the bowyer's knot or timber
                      hitch, your choice.

                      Twine until there's nothing left.

                      I often finish with the smallest figure-8 knot I can manage at the very tip.

                      Ta da! Bowstring!
                      One that you need not worry about untwisting.

                      -----------------

                      I leave the straight parts as long as I can, a string that is entirely
                      twined is springy and less efficient than otherwise. And it's faster to
                      make.

                      Make your major brace-height adjustments by altering the knot. When the
                      string has stretched (in the heat of the day (can we not talk about how
                      I know this)) you can make fine adjustments by twisting the string
                      tighter. And if need be, looser.

                      I have made strings in this manner _on_the_range_ at Pensic for myself
                      and for others. No jigs, just wax, string, and a knife. 30 to 45 minutes.
                      You can do it too.
                      Amaze your friends.

                      Fritz, Sagg, OL, etc.

                      P.S. I once watch Edward the Grey make a quick string in about 3
                      minutes. Two colors at that! It was heavy, but it worked.
                    • ladyjohannatrewpeny
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 4, 2013
                        Share some Pictures next time you make one that way Fritz. It sounds interesting!

                        I have forgotten my jig when I was running an 'archery repair' night but found that one can make twisted loop flemish strings without it. We wrapped the strings around two chair backs to get the proper length (bow length + about 10 inches per end) and used scissors to nip 1/2 inches off creating that frayed end which allows the bundle to fade into the string rather than leave a clump.
                        It worked better than I thought and we had several loaner bows up and ready by that evening.

                        When teaching new string makers I give them a mnemonic that helps me remember which way I'm going. "Twist away, fold back."

                        I do advise new stringmakers to use two different colors. It's much easier to match which bundle is which when weaving the ends back in to form the loop and this is one thing that can make your string fail if you get it wrong......and they're pretty! Baronial or Kingdom colors if you're using the Dacron make a nice touch to your loaner gear. Black stays looking nicer than white due to the dust and stuff the wax picks up, but a red/white striped 'candycane' string is almost worth remaking occasionally for the kids.

                        Ladies can also use this twist for their hair with a long scarf. Split hair in half, drape scarf on neck, lean forward. Starting at the nape of the neck and working toward the temple on each side fold hair around scarf until the temple is reached. Now separate scarf from hair and 'Flemish Twist'. Twist the other side of the hair in reverse. Cross the two, Making sure the 'rope' is laid on the downhill side of the roll that's attached to your head. Wrap the finished 'ropes' around and tie them in the back. No pins are needed, if done properly it will last all day. It's great for keeping that lovely hair out of the way of your bow's string, is cool for summmer, makes a good foundation for a hat or something to pin your veil to without killing your scalp. Gentlemen need not wait for your maid to braid your locks for 3 hours as it can be done in 3 minutes or less with practice!

                        Brightly,
                        Lady Johanna